Wiring issue with new Hunter Ceiling Fan (w/ Remote)

Old 11-27-15, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring issue with new Hunter Ceiling Fan (w/ Remote)

So I have installed at least a dozen ceiling fans in my life but never one with a remote and am having issues.

Besides all of the annoying things with installing this Hunter Contempo fan (instructions stink, screws strip easily, took me forever to jam the remote in the spot) I cant get the wiring or the remote to work correctly.

I have 4 wires from the ceiling, red/black/white/green. The fans instructions tell me to connect the following:

Blue from fan to Blue from remote
Black from fan to Yellow from remote
White from fan to White from remote to White from ceiling
Black from fan to Black from remote to Black from ceiling
All the Greens together.

This leaves me with a red leftover wire that I just capped.

Well nothing worked, no light, no fan...nothing.

I then started mixing wires around and found the following:

When I connect red wire to blue wires, the light works when I turn the switch on but the fan does not.
When I connect the red to the yellow/black wires the fan turns on when I flip the switch but the light does not.
When I connect the black to the blues the light stays on all the time regardless of switch but the fan doesnt turn on.
When I connect the black to the yellow/black the fan stays on all the time regardless of switch but the light doesnt turn on.

Im lost, the remote does nothing, and it seems I need to have the red wire attached to SOMETHING for it to work from the light switch.

Is this a remote issue or a wiring issue? And if its a wiring issue then what combination do I use??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-15, 03:04 PM
So yeah, it was as simple as the battery they shipped it with in the remote was not working.....please remove thread, Im an idiot...thanks

Old 11-27-15, 03:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Edit: I wish I had known that before I posted. LOL

Old 11-27-15, 04:02 PM
The bad battery with the color coded wiring is the reason I have switched over to a fan with a wireless remote. - Wired up just like a light fixture, but you mount a bracket for the control or just out the control where it is handy. - I am now ready to install fan #4 (multi-level open condo) where controlling variable the varying seasonal temperatures.

The only problem is setting the remotes (dip switches in the remote or fan) so there is no conflicts where one remote can control more than one fan. - That just takes a few seconds/minutes.

Dick