Outdoor motion-sensing light wiring problems

Old 11-28-15, 06:46 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor motion-sensing light wiring problems

I have an outdoor motion-sensing light that is worn out from age, so I tried to replace it today. I bought a new light (SKU 248-593 from Home Depot) and wired it in accordance with it's instructions, yet the light won't come on. I used a voltage detector to confirm that the wires are HOT and passing voltage, and the light bulb is good.

Attaching an image to this post failed, so you can see the image of my wiring job here: View image: 20151128 182239

I connected white-white, black-black, and ground-ground. I'm color blind, so maybe the black-back is actually black-red. If so, how do I properly wire this light, as it only has a black and white wire?

NOTE - there is an additional wire in the image, its from the old motion sensor which was external. The new sensor is built into the light. This additional wire has no voltage flowing through it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-15, 07:02 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I used a voltage detector to confirm that the wires are HOT and passing voltage,
If you mean non contact tester then the reading is meaningless. You need to check for voltage with a multimeter, preferably analog, or a neon test light, or a solenoid tester.

You do not seem to have the black of power in connected in your image.

Name:  20151128_182239.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 11-28-15, 07:34 PM
E
Thanks, I re-did the wiring and can now hear a 'switching' sound every few seconds, so I assume the light is picking up my motion and trying to complete the circuit. However, the light won't come on. Do I do anything with the RED wire which was previously attached to the BLACK?

Old 11-28-15, 08:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post a picture of the wires on the light that includes the light. Post a picture of the junction box with the mounting plate removed.

Old 11-28-15, 08:37 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The light may have a built-in photocell so it will only ckme on at night. That's how mine works.

Old 11-29-15, 06:09 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Those lights will have a test setting on them. You will also need to let it acclimate for up to several hours for the sensor to "see" the surrounding light conditions. You say there is a red wire that you're not using. Is this light controlled from two locations (three way switch)?

Old 12-08-15, 03:07 PM
E
do you have it in test mode? If you hear a click that's a relay and that means it's powered.

On the just in case front. Are you sure the light bulb hasn't burned out?