Adding light off 3 way controlled outlet?

Old 12-07-15, 04:30 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adding light off 3 way controlled outlet?

Hello everyone,

We have an older home (1940) and everything is switched controlled outlets. In my dining room specifically the top of the outlet is controlled by a 3 way switch and the bottom is always hot. I figured to do the least amount of tearing apart I could fish a wire up and over from one of the switch controlled outlets to the new light box. This should be possible right? If so, could someone explain it? I have done a decent amount of wiring in my home already but for some reason I can't wrap my head around this... I tried searching but was kind of difficult to find my exact situation.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-15, 05:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the top of the outlet is controlled by a 3 way switch and the bottom is always hot.
If you want to make both sides of the receptacle hot you just need to disconnect the wire that brings in switched power to the brass side of the receptacle. I'll call it the red wire though it may not be. We will call the always hot wire black though it may not be.[list][*]Replace the receptacle with a new one and leave the tab on the brass side intact.[*]Connect the black (always hot) to the black of the cable to the next receptacle.[*]Connect the black pigtail to the brass side of the receptacle.[*]Connect all whites including the white of the new cable to a pigtail.[*]Connect the white pigtail to the silver side of the receptacle.[*]Connect the black of the new cable to the red (switched hot) wire.

This is very basic and assumes a three wire cable deadening in the receptacle box and a two conductor cable carrying unswitched power to the next receptacle. Yours may be different but with out knowing the wiring in the box we can't say.

However that is a lot of wires in a small box. I'd suggest coming from the switch box the power comes into. However without knowing the wiring at both switch and receptacle we can't even say if power comes in at the switch or receptacle.

Old 12-08-15, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Is your wiring grounded? If not it should not be extended,

Old 12-08-15, 07:41 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yeah all the wiring is grounded. At least in all the other outlets I have been working on in other rooms. Haven't checked exactly this outlet but assuming it is. I am just doing my research before I jump into the project. It should be possible though right? The light switch is controlling that outlet, so it should be able to control the light I add too right?

Thanks

Old 12-08-15, 08:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, it can control the light but how it will be wired will depend on current wiring. Best may be to come from the switch that feeds the receptacle. The receptacle box may not have room for new cable. You must decide if you want to make the receptacle fully always hot (often easiest).

Last edited by ray2047; 12-08-15 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
What method was used to wire your house?