3-way switch not turning off light

Old 12-14-15, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch not turning off light

I had a light that was controlled by a 3-way switch suddenly stop working. I reset the circuit breaker and the light turned back on, but then would not turn off from either switch a (top of stairs) or switch b (bottom of stairs). I figured a single switch or both switches had shorted so I replaced the switches, taking care to place the wires in the same position that they were in originally. The light would still stay on when either switch was in the off or on position. I checked all the wire connections in the switch box as well as in the light fixture to no avail. I thought there was a possibility that I had wired them incorrectly so I disconnected both switches and used a non-contact voltage tester to find the hot wire at switch b, then used a continuity tester to determine the traveler wires at switch a. After ensuring everything was correct and hooking up the switches once again the light was STILL staying lit when the switches were in either on or off position.
I have come to the end of my knowledge and I'm unsure where to turn next. Any tips or ideas for possible issues would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-15, 05:51 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Verify the common terminal of SW b is connected to the power source and the common terminal of SW a is connected to the stair light black wire. The 2 switched wires (between sw a and sw b) can be terminated either way. If this doesn't work, you are not providing the correct information.

Old 12-15-15, 06:03 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Send some pics of the wiring in the switch boxes. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Last edited by ray2047; 12-15-15 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Add link.