Minka Aire Concept II ceiling fan hard wiring help please!

Old 12-16-15, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minka Aire Concept II ceiling fan hard wiring help please!

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and come with a problem. I paid an electrician to install my new Minka fan using two wall switches, light dimmer and fan speed control. What i didn't realize was Minka fans are designed to be used with remote/receiver. The electrician disconnected the receiver and hardwired into the wall switches - for a while it was fine.

Recently something happened (circuit tripped or other) and my fan changed direction (summer/winter). The catch - these fans ONLY have the reverse switch using the remote/receive, there is no physical switch on the unit. Well, first time i reconnected the receiver, reversed the fan direction, and reconnected the wall switches. Second time, same thing. I can't keep living like this.

My question - Can i keep the light switch on the wall in use, while hooking up the fan control to the remote? We want our children to be able to enter the room and flip a wall switch for the light, yet maintain full control of the fan and direction using the remote.

Does this make sense? My first thought is if the light switch/fan wire stay in place, then i just need to get power to the receiver and hook up the fan wires. I am asking for your help understanding how power to the receiver would tie in with power to the light, and if there is something else that must be done with the neutral? With the two hardwired switches both light and fan had power independently and operated independently and that is still my goal.

thank you very much in advance. I can't fault the electrician as he followed my advice, but i also came to learn the fan was ONLY designed to be used with the remote. So i find myself in a jam and hoping there is a solution for us that works. Best - Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-15, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure which remote system you have there. Can you post the model number for the fan ?

Maybe this will help you directly. Most remotes have a white and black wire for power in and a white for common neutral, black for the fan and blue for the light.

At the ceiling you would connect the black from the remote to the fan power from the switch.
The white to neutral. The blue that did connect to the remote would be disconnected from the remote and reconnected to the switched wire for the light.

Now the remote and the fan wall switch will control the fan and the light wall switch will be the ONLY control for the light.

Old 12-16-15, 10:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here is one diagram of what PJ is talking about.

Name:  Fan_Ltg-Only_Switched_zps6a12b3ec.jpg
Views: 6854
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 12-17-15, 08:31 AM
Guys, thank you VERY much. This is a helpful start for sure. I wanted to provide the exact model number of the fan in the hopes someone was familiar with this exact fan, the remote transmitter that comes installed with the unit, and how i should specifically reconnect the receiver back into the fan considering i already have the fan and light each hardwired to wall switches. It is GREAT to hear that i can potentially use the wall switches AND the remote so i don't lose our setup, but gain full access to the reverse function.

Minka-Aire F518-WH 44-inch Concept II Flush Mount Ceiling Fan

also page #4 of the manual shows the electrical connections, specifically how the receive would have originally been connected at the ceiling. Imagine that receiver being "removed" and now i would like to put it back while keeping my wall switches (exactly as PJmax mentioned).
http://www.minkagroup.net/sites/defa...19-Spanish.pdf

THANK YOU! JW

Old 12-17-15, 10:37 AM
You have two lights controlled separately by the remote. How do you want to handle that?
  • [*]
  • [*]
Based on your problem with the fan reversing I believe the motor will have to remain connected to the remote. I see no way to separate the reverse function.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 11376
Size:  52.1 KB

Old 12-17-15, 12:03 PM
Hi Ray - thank you again. So there is only one light, it's a "100w Mini-Can halogen bulb". So this stumps me a bit... blue for light and orange for upper light? No idea what this means.... but definitely only one light in the fan unit.

1. i don't mind the light being on the wall switch the way it is now (using 14/3 wire direct). I will have to open up the unit to see how the electrician wired it and confirm which light wire (blue or orange) is used. But if we can not make any changes here, that's even easier.
2. I agree the motor must stay connected to the remote or else the reverse functionality is lost (what i have now which isn't working)

Perhaps the best solution, and one i have not been clear to define, would be to have...

A. the light works independently using the existing wall switch (no remote) for on/off (power and dim)
B. the fan has a wall switch for power only (no speed control or direction)
C. the fan remote controls the fan speed and direction once power is on from the existing wall switch

this way we use both wall switches independently for light on, fan on. wife and kids are happy. I would then use the remote to change the fan speed and direction as needed. This is a perfect setup, can you walk me thru it?

Appreciate!

Old 12-17-15, 12:31 PM
A and C are doable.
B. the fan has a wall switch for power only (no speed control or direction)
The motor apparently has to go through the remote for you to be able to change direction. I really do not know enough about how direction is changed to answer that question. Have you tried spinning the blade by hand a different direction then turning on the wall switch before it stops spinning? Just guessing now.

Old 12-17-15, 02:55 PM
hey, i can live with A and C! what is the proper way to take my fan wall switch, turn that into just a power switch (for the fan), and then connect the receiver to control all the fan functions using the remote? The light (A) would stay as is, wall operated.

Side note... these fans (or my house) have a mind of their own. Perhaps its my old house wiring or a glitch in the fan that someone using the remote doesn't notice or care about because they simply hit the direction button. But... honest truth... 3 times I have experienced these fans randomly spinning in the opposite direction from the day before and the 4th time, i sat there for a minute playing with the fan wall switch and speed dimmer back and forth, back and forth, and the fan actually reversed back to normal. that only happened once and i've wasted endless minutes on two diff fans never to have it happen again! thank you, look forward to my plan to reconnect the remote to fan. cheers

Old 12-17-15, 03:44 PM
I will also post the switch wiring if you need it but basically at the switch:
  • White (recolored black) pigtailed to both switches.
  • Red to the other terminal of one switch.
  • Black to the other terminal of the second switch.
Name:  G.jpg
Views: 12708
Size:  25.9 KB

Note code requires the white of the switch cable to be recolored some color other than (white) gray or green to indicate it is not a neutral. Often done with a few bands of red or black tape on both ends.

Old 12-17-15, 06:07 PM
If you have the switch wiring i'll take it just in case something is not obvious with my setup.

THANK YOU RAY. Your time and detail to help me is truly appreciated, a hat tip and much more for your efforts.

I will not be taking on this task before Xmas... sprained ankle, young kids and the vengeance of a wife if i do something wrong. Just too risky.

I will post back in a few weeks once complete and let everyone know the results.

Best holidays and thank you,
Joe

Old 12-17-15, 07:42 PM
Name:  BG.jpg
Views: 6977
Size:  20.1 KB .

Old 12-17-15, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Looks good Ray.

Just a couple of additions. The version of light you have only uses one light. Different versions use two lights. The fan comes prewired with both. You probably won't be using the orange wire.

Most of the fans that use this type of basic remote have the forward/reverse switch on the fan itself.

Your manual says (Full Function Remote Control Units Only) have reverse. I'm not sure if you have that remote..... if you do.... I have no idea how the reverse works. It would have to be something in the motor section that detected the reverse button being held in.

Old 12-17-15, 10:21 PM
You probably won't be using the orange wire.
Yes, from what the O/P wrote I thought that was likely but I included it just in case. Just cap the orange from the remote and the orange from the fan (if present) instead of connecting to the red. Connect only blue to red.

Old 12-18-15, 08:47 AM
makes sense on the orange wire, and yes i have only one light. i will cap it. also, this fan seems to have a "digital" reverse feature and the only way to do this is via the remote... which i have. so all set there, assuming i am smart enough to follow your instructions and make it all work! thanks guys... happy holidays.