Trying to find out if juice is coming to bedroom light fixture.

Old 12-20-15, 12:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to find out if juice is coming to bedroom light fixture.

I recently took down an old fan/light combo that is about a decade old. When I turned on the power, the light didn't come on nor did the fan turn. Not knowing a whole lot about electricity, I figured the first thing I should do is to make sure there was juice coming into the bedroom, so I now have a simple 2-wire bulb connected to the ceiling (where the light/fan combo was).

The problem now is, I'm not sure how to connect the wires on the light-switch. There are 2 black wires currently connected and 1 white wire.

One I am sure there's power coming up to the bedroom, I want to hook up another (new) ceiling fan/light combo.

Am I doing this correctly? Could someone please advise me on what wires should be connected on the switch?

Thanks a million for any assistance with this.

Joe

Attached Images   
Old 12-20-15, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I'm not sure how to connect the wires on the light-switch. There are 2 black wires currently connected and 1 white wire
I see two blacks only on the switch..... are we looking at the same picture ?

We don't count the bare ground in our counts. We don't usually show it in our diagrams either but it's there and is expected to be connected.

Do you have black, white and red at the ceiling ?

Old 12-20-15, 04:46 PM
J
Sorry, I was wrong, and you are correct - there are only 2 black wires on the switch. One is black to black and the other is connected to a black & red wire.

You are correct about the ceiling (black, red, and white (and also a copper wire)). But the bulb I have currently up there is only connected (black to black and white to white). Not using the other wires.

Thank you for the welcome by the way.

Old 12-20-15, 05:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Disconnect the wires at the switch connect your test light to the black and white wires of the 2-conductor cable at the switch. When you turn the breaker back on does the light come on? (Black, red, white is the 3-conductor cable from the switch. The other cable is your 2-conductor power in cable.)

Old 12-22-15, 10:10 AM
J
ray2047, I apologize but I have to ask for clarification. Are you saying I should connect the light (currently hanging from the ceiling) to the wires coming out of the wall (for the switch)?

I'm just not fluid in electricity related terminology.

Old 12-22-15, 10:58 AM
You should connect only the wires of the 2-conductor cable (black, white, bare). That is your power in cable. The 3-conductor cable (black, red, white, bare) goes to the light.

Name:  G.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  8.9 KB

Old 12-22-15, 12:09 PM
J
Ok. Thank you. I think I follow now (most of it)

For the wires going to the bulb (which have only black and white wires), where do I connect the red and bare?

Old 12-22-15, 12:49 PM
For the wires going to the bulb (which have only black and white wires), where do I connect the red and bare?
If you are talking about the test you don't have it. Please look carefully at the diagram. It shows the switch box. The two cables are completely disconnected from each other and switch removed. Only one cable has a red wire. That cable is NOT what you test. You test the power in cable which has no red wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: