Help wiring a fan timer control

Old 12-24-15, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wiring a fan timer control

I'm a wiring noob and I'm looking to add a timer switch to a new bathroom fan/light combo I've just installed. Currently the fan and light are wired to the same switch and it works fine. I want to add the switch to a location separate from where the light switch is.

Do I just need to run grounded 14/2 wire to the switch and from the switch to the fan?

Please excuse the rudimentary diagram but it helped me to visualize.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 12.07.38 PM.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  17.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-15, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In your diagram you're showing a red wire at the light. Is that correct ?
If yes... that means you have a three wire cable with red, white and black at that location....correct ?

Old 12-24-15, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think it's technically a 2 line, black and white from the switch to the light. When making the diagram I think I just made it red to remind myself it's like a load wire and not a constantly live line. Sorry if it's wrong and causing confusion.

Old 12-24-15, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
No problem. If it was actually red... the job would be easy.

You can approach this in several ways.... I would remove that box in the wall..... replace it with a two gang box and either run a second line to the fan or replace the cable with a three wire. Most likely.... an additional two wire cable will be the way to go as the existing cable is most likely stapled in the wall.

If you don't want to mess with the existing box then you'll need to get a feed to your new box and then a new line from there to the fan.

You could remove the switch from the wall, leave it wired yet and take a nice clear well lit picture and post it here. We can advise you better on the box. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-24-15, 01:59 PM
Thanks again. I think I understand now. I'll post back with pictures if I start taking apart the boxes and something doesn't make sense.