Wiring Help

Old 12-30-15, 07:23 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help

Please Help.
I am replacing a bathroom exhaust fan. I took the old one down and and rewired the the new one the exact same way. Now the exhaust fan in another bathroom does not work.
I ran into a three wire cable, where the red is the supply line. I wired this to the two black wires within the fan. the white wire I wired to the two white in the fan, and an exiting white wire I assume goes to the other bathroom. The black wire I wired to the exiting black wire. Never seen this set up before, but I wired it as I took it out.
The incoming black wire in the three wire cable has no electricity running to it.

I know it may be hard to diagnose without seeing it, but any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-30-15, 08:04 PM
N
Yes. It actually did control a third bathroom exhaust fan a few hours ago, but I had it wired differently then, trying to split off to another light. I abandoned this strategy and wired as explained before.
Thanks

Old 12-30-15, 08:10 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Tell us about the switch box.

Old 12-30-15, 08:18 PM
third bathroom exhaust fan a few hours ago
OK, I thought I asked a question that was probably incorrect, so I deleted it.

Old 12-30-15, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,116 Upvotes on 3,696 Posts
Maybe the red is always live feeding the "other" bathroom(s) and black is switched.

Old 12-30-15, 08:40 PM
N
To make it more difficult the house is on a low voltage touch plate system. I have never ventured far enough to change anything about the switch, as the system baffles me.
Only one switch controls the exhaust fan in the bathroom I am working on. The other two bathrooms have two switches. There are also two "main" panels that control the entire house, that so add an additional two switches to each room.
The red is the live, so the new exhaust fan has red and white, with a bypassed black, as the wire running into the other bathrooms do not have a red.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: