using "non approved" dimmer with LEDs

Old 01-01-16, 05:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
using "non approved" dimmer with LEDs

hello,

I unknowingly bought a couple of Lutron "eco dim" dimmers that do not mention anything about being rated for LEDs on the package or in the instructions.
However, they work fine at dimming two different brands of LED lights that i've installed. I happen to like how they include the night light feature and i've also lost the receipt, so i'm sort of stuck with these if I need to buy new dimmers.

Obviously, i'm no electrician, so I'm not sure if there are possible issues that could pop up in the future by using these dimmers. Technically, could these cause over-heating, shorting-out, etc? They are '120 V halogen/incandescent rated at 120 V ~ 60 Hz 600 W'

I'm hoping some of you all can either put my mind at ease or inform me that I'd be better off buying the other Lutron dimmers that specifically mention 'for LEDs' on the packaging.

Thanks much!

Old 01-01-16, 05:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It could be the only thing different between those and the ones for LEDs is packaging and price.

Old 01-01-16, 06:06 PM
H
That is my hunch as well. You would think Lutron has designed these to be compatible with LEDs, considering those who may switch to LEDs years down the road.

I really have no idea though, and if these could be a problem, i'd rather switch them out now.

Old 01-01-16, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Usually a dimmer will be labeled as "incandescent only" if it wasn't supposed to be run with LED bulbs. You'd pretty much know right away if they weren't right.

Old 01-01-16, 09:08 PM
Many times these "incorrect" dimmers are not desired because the lights will not dim to less than 10%, (or a similar cut off)

If you are happy with the lower end dimming range, you are good.

Old 01-02-16, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
Dimmers marked for LEDs are designed to give the performance similar to that of a dimmer on an incandescent lamp. They tend not to cause objectionable results such as flicker, and early lamp or dimmer failure.

Using a non-rated dimmer on LED could shorten dimmer or lamp life, but only time will tell on that. It is not a safety issues IMO.

Old 01-02-16, 07:07 AM
H
Great, I will just stick with these and move forward.
Thank you all!

Old 01-04-16, 06:50 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I tested several dimmable LEDs on an old 1980's dimmer and all worked fine with no flickering or noise. Obviously that might not be the case with all combinations. I then installed a new Lutron LED-compatible dimmer and it did allow the bulbs to go much lower in output--PLUS--had a feature where you could limit the lowest setting with a hidden adjustment to prevent some bulbs being on when very dim while others fail to light.

To me that feature and lower light was worth the extra expense of the new dimmer.

Old 01-07-16, 01:03 PM
B
although they are expensive, the lutron dimmers dont' require a neutral which is very nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: