lumen question

Old 01-01-16, 07:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lumen question

i have fluroscent tubes in kitchen. 4 x F34T12. Each tube generates 2000 Lumens. Honestly i think 3 tubes are good enough - so i think i'm happy with 6000 lumens.

I'm thinking about replacing that with Halogen or LED Track Light.

Questions:
1) if i buy Track lights with Halogen light source (GU10 base), can i use the LED bulbs with GU10 base ?

2) Say I get a track light with 4 heads, each uses a 50W equivalent LED (which consumes 8W). The lumen for each LED is 500. That means 4 LEDs are about 2000 lumens. Does that mean it is NOT good enough because i currently have 6000 lumens ??

Old 01-01-16, 09:54 PM
I can't help with the lumens. From my experience though seeing and working on many kitchens, track lighting is not the best way to go. Usually the room ends up dark with a few areas of good light coverage.
How big is the kitchen and what's your ceiling height?

Old 01-01-16, 11:06 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Lumens are lumens, BUT often more important is the question of how well distributed those lumens are. As Handyone infers, point lighting is often less desirable because it leaves dark spaces. The fluorescent lighting is pretty much evenly distributed along its entire length which in my opinion if far, far better than having a number of point sources.

In addition, in a kitchen where it seems that everything gets covered in a film of grease, it is generally easier to clean the fluorescent fixture than it is multiple track lighting fixtures.

Old 01-02-16, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If you wanted a different fixture a semi-flush unit that takes A type incandescent bulbs would ley you choose from regular incandescent, halogen A replacements or led bulbs.
A three lamp fixture would also give you plenty of flexibility in choosing light intensity and this style would throw a lot of light up at the ceiling for even distribution..

Another thing to consider is the color the light and a bulb choice would let you control this as well.
An example is LED bulbs on a dimmer lower the intensity of the light and remain white through the dimming range.
Halogen and regular incandescent will change color to a warmer color as they are dimmed giving a soft glow at lower settings.

There are many choices in this fixture style.

Old 01-02-16, 05:28 AM
A
Received 287 Upvotes on 262 Posts
Fluorescent tubes in relatively compact fixtures suffer a bit lumen loss especially when the tube is up against surfaces intended to reflect the light going up to the ceiling back down into the room.

The tube itself shadows (and absorbs) some of the light that is supposed to be reflected downward.

I would say that for a typical slim line enclosed ceiling fluorescent tube fixture gives off about half the lumes that the tubes are rated for.

The usable lumen output is greater for the same tube if the tube is several inches away from surfaces and other objects.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-02-16 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-02-16, 06:34 AM
M
Kitchen is about 10x10 and 9' high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: