Dimmer switch questions

Old 01-01-16, 10:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switch questions

Hello, I am currently attempting to install (replace the old switch) a dimmer switch in a bedroom. I think I have it wired correctly but wanted to run it by some people with more knowledge. This is the situation...

When I removed the old switchplate I noticed that the electrical box has 3 strands clamped inside of it (top left, bottom left and bottom right). Each strand has 1 black, 1 white and one ground, all grounds are screwed to the back of the box, the 3 white wires are all capped together and the 3 black wires were connected to the switch(blck wires from both bottom strands to the bottom of the switch and the black wire from the top strand to the top of the switch). The dimmer I am attempting to install is the Lutron diva CL, a simple dimmer with simple instructions that do not match my scenario.

The way I have it wired now is this...the ground from the dimmer to the box, the black wire capped with the two black wires from both bottom strands and a red wire capped with the remaining black wire (from the top strand). I did not change the white wires inside the box. There is also a red and white wire which is capped by itself as the instructions state it's for 3way usage.

There are two other outlets in the room which is what the I'm thinking the strands are for except that the light runs off a different breaker than the outlets....so who knows.

Does it sound like I have it wired correctly? Also what size box should I be using according to code. I live in Ontario

Thank you

Adam

Old 01-01-16, 10:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,121 Upvotes on 3,701 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your "strands" are called cables. A cable has more than one wire in it.

You have wired it correctly as the two black wires on one side of the switch is the hot wire with a wire going back out tagged on.

Yes..... one cable is the hot one in and another goes on to more devices.

Not sure about your box question. If the dimmer and wiring fits comfortably you should be ok.

Old 01-01-16, 10:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's a pretty tight fit...the wires would defiantly be pressed up against the back of the dimmer. From what I read the dimmer will create low level heat which overtime could wear down the insulation and cause a short. The box right now is 12.5 cu inches.

I thought that there were different sizes (building code)based on how many cables/wires were inside the box or not.

And thank you for your input.

Old 01-01-16, 11:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,121 Upvotes on 3,701 Posts
When I prewire or rough a house..... I use deep boxes in all locations.

Many people feel compelled to wire lighting circuits in #12 wire. In a residential setting.... there is no reason to use #12 wire. I use #14 for all my lighting circuits which frees up a lot of room in the switch boxes.

For three cables and a dimmer.... 12.5 cu in is a little small. That would be a 2-1/2" deep gem box. You would be borderline with #14 and undersized with#12 wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: