retrofit fluorescent tube lighting to led tubes. will also stop hum.

Old 01-07-16, 01:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
retrofit fluorescent tube lighting to led tubes. will also stop hum.

after reading outdated advice on some websites, wasting time learning about different fluorescent ballasts, I discovered the best thing to do is just retrofit them to LED tube bulbs at $17/each on amazon. They last a lot longer then fluoros, and don't require ballasts (which typically make the noise). in the long run they cost less and save time, and are more energy efficient.

retrofitting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-bpjk5epg

you will probalby have to check if your tombstones are shunted, youtube it.

good luck.

Old 01-07-16, 02:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The video only describes one type of LED retrofit. The one where power goes to one end of the tube. The problem with that type is if the tombstones are shunted they have to be replaced.

The other type of tube power goes to both ends. It doesn't matter if the tombstones are shunted. Just connect all the tombstone wires from one end to hot and all the ones from the other end to neutral. (Technically only one wire is needed from each tombstone but to keep it simple and not have to sort and remove some wires you can just connect them all since it really doesn't matter.)

Usually the ones advertised to work with or without a ballast will be wired to both ends. (Even though they say they work with a ballast it make more sense to bypass the ballast.)

T-8 will often have the shunted tombstones that need to be replaced for tubes where power goes to one end.

Old 01-07-16, 05:07 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yeah, from what i can tell some led tubes can work with ballasts in place, some have to bypass ballast (remove them). also some specify which tombstones.

Old 01-08-16, 07:14 AM
G
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For the "direct replacement" led tubes where the ballast stays hooked up--can anyone tell me if a buzzing ballast will continue to buzz with led tubes?

I like the idea of the cheap $10 drop-ins at Home Depot, but will pay more if I have to to get QUIET.

Old 01-08-16, 11:00 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the ballast has power it will buzz. It is so easy to bypass the ballast there is no need not to. Plus you defeat the main advantages of LED if you use the ballast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: