LED Strip Diffusion

Old 01-07-16, 05:20 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question LED Strip Diffusion

I have no idea if this is in the right forum, but I have a predicament...

I bought an LED strip on Amazon and I need to diffuse the light. I heard that if the strip was waterproof, you could use sand paper to make the waterproof layer opaque.

I didn't buy a waterproof strip.. So, I need to figure out how to diffuse the light.

I have an idea, what if I put hot glue over the strip, and then sandpaper the glue?

Would that work? Would that ruin the LEDs from heat? If you have any other ideas on how to diffuse the light, let me know.

Regards.

Old 01-07-16, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,053 Upvotes on 3,636 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We would need to know what LED strips you have before commenting on them.

Old 01-07-16, 05:48 PM
K
I have these ones:

Robot Check

Old 01-07-16, 06:54 PM
C
Received 174 Upvotes on 142 Posts
Lots of commercial diffusers available, just search for LED strip light diffuser. If you want to DIY something, I'd look at polyethylene tubing of the appropriate diameter. It's kind of a frosted color and might work well as a diffuser. You can buy a couple feet at your favorite big box or hardware store and try it out. It is possible it will cause the lights to overheat, although yours are pretty low power. If you try it, just check the temp after they've been on a while and make sure they aren't more than warm to the touch.

Old 01-07-16, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,053 Upvotes on 3,636 Posts
Hot glue would probably block to much light.

Name:  LED.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  18.8 KB

Here's an interesting idea...... depending on what your finished product needs to look like.
you tube/watch?v=OJ6KnBCDFmU

SolidApollo out in Washington state has got some awesome stuff. I've used their diffusers and backing plates before. A little pricey but worth a look.

Aluminum LED Strip Profiles

Old 01-08-16, 08:26 AM
K
Thanks for all the replies.

In order to save money, I might just go with a polyethylene tube. It probably will do the job just fine. It'll also allow me to have a little bit of flexibility so I can form it to whatever i'd like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: