motion sensor light won't stay on

Old 01-13-16, 05:58 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
motion sensor light won't stay on

I recently purchased 3 motion sensor outdoor lights. 2 of them work fine but 1 doesn't. I exchanged it and the new one also does not work and i tried a differnent bulb - suggesting the problem is in the box, not the light.

The problem light turns on with motion detection but does not stay on - the other 2 do. I have tried all settings on the light but it will not stay on. I spoke to the manufacturer and they do not know the solution. I suspect there is a wiring problem but I do not understand what would be causing only the continuous light to not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Old 01-13-16, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In your first paragraph you say the light doesn't work.
In your second paragraph you say the light comes on but won't stay on.

That's a problem with the sensor. Nothing else controls the light. If it was wired wrong it wouldn't come on at all.

Old 01-13-16, 06:06 PM
E
The light comes on when there is motion.

The light does not turn on otherwise. The other 2 lights do stay on without movement.

Old 01-13-16, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
The light comes on when there is motion.
Ummmm......ok. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work ?

If it won't stay on for a period time after it senses motion then that is a problem with the sensor.

Old 01-14-16, 05:31 AM
E
The light is supposed to turn on at sunset and stay on at a low intensity until sunrise at which time it turns off. It also has a motion detector function that makes the bulb get brighter when there is motion and it goes back to a dim light until the morning.

The other 2 lights both turn on at sunset and get brighter with motion detected. The 3rd light does not turn on at sunset but does turn on with the bright light with motion. I cannot get the abnormal light to turn on without motion at all.

i don't know much about this kind of light - are there 2 separate sensors? Is the motion sensor working and the one that detects darkness not working?

Or is there some other reason that one box with 2 different lights installed works differently than the other 2?

Old 01-14-16, 09:35 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do all three have incandescent light bulbs?

Old 01-14-16, 10:44 AM
E
All 3 have the same bulb - supplied by the manufacturer - it is a 3 way bulb 15-85-100.

I tried switching the bulbs from one unit to the one that is not working but it is the same with a different bulb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: