Convert separately switched light fixture and fan to one?

Old 01-17-16, 12:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert separately switched light fixture and fan to one?

In my bathroom I have two switches in a box on the wall, one controls a standard light fixture, the other a fan/light combo. Having the light and fan is redundant since the fan has it's own light.

I want to upgrade the fan unit anyway, and my plan is to move the wiring from the light fixture, over to the electrical box for the fan. Then, effectively wire one switch to the fan component, and the other to the light part.

Basically, two main lines will be entering the same junction box in the attic. Any problems / safety issues with doing it this way?

thanks

Old 01-17-16, 01:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you mean 2 hot leads, I don't see a safety problem.

Old 01-17-16, 01:23 PM
C
I'm sorry I'm probably using the wrong terminology. If that's what you'd call a run of standard romex wire that enters a light fixture box, then yes. I'd be combining two of these into one junction box so I can eliminate the xtra light and patch over the drywall there.

Old 01-17-16, 01:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does power for the fan come in at the switch box or the fan box? Does power for the light come in at the switch box or the light.

Old 01-17-16, 02:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Now the word "combining" scares me. Let's go over the basic terminology. Most likely, you have 14/2 Romex. That's used for your lighting circuit Don't call it standard Romex. 14/2 has a black wire, white wire & a bare ground. That's what's used for a 15 amp circuit.

So far the way you described it, each switch is sending a separate hot lead (black wires) to the ceiling but to different junction boxes. You want to send both of them to the same box, which will control the new fan. That's fine. When you get the new fan, one of those black wires will be connected to the black wire, in the fan & the other will be connected to the blue wire in the fan. Does that make sense?

Old 01-17-16, 03:23 PM
my plan is to move the wiring from the light fixture, over to the electrical box for the fan
As said above, this is fine. One switch will control the light, the other for the fan.

However:
If the ceiling light box has 2 cables (2 black and 2 white house wires), then I would not recommend you move the cables. There are other ways and you can get help here.

Old 01-17-16, 03:36 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If power comes in at the switch probably just best to abandon the light cable in place. You would replace the 2-conductor cable to the fan with a 3-conductor cable.

Name:  Fan_Light_seperate-Switch.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  20.4 KB

Code says all conductors in the same raceway. Strictly speaking all wires to the fan should be in the same cable. Some would debate if having two neutrals in separate cables going to the single neutral in the fan violated that. It would probably be okay, certainly it would work but the 3-conductor cable would be the best code compliant method.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-17-16 at 04:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: