Possible safety issue with switches?

Old 01-23-16, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible safety issue with switches?

About a month ago, I turned off a switch in my apartment and there was a faint pop and a slight smell like the switch was hot. It faded after a few minutes, but I decided to have maintenance check to make sure there wasn't anything wrong. Maintenance said they couldn't find any issues, but since then, I've been a bit paranoid about the lighting in my place.

I've started smelling the switches each time I turn them off, and everyone in a while, I'll notice that certain switches will smell slightly hot when I turn them off. Most of the time, the smell only lasts less than 15 seconds, but on rare occasions, it will fade over a few minutes. The smell isn't noticeable unless I have my face right up against the switch, so if I wasn't actively looking for it, I probably wouldn't notice anything.

This usually occurs on panels with double switches, so I don't know if that's a factor. The wall/panel never feels hot, and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the functionality of the lights.

Is this something I should be worried about, or should I trust that since maintenance couldn't find an issue, I shouldn't be concerned?

Any advice is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The smell is something to cause concern. Most likely the switches were wired using the stab back connections rather than the screw connections. Eventually you will have a failure and the lights won't work. I would express my concern to the manager and have them check to see if this is the case or not.

Old 01-23-16, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information! Is this a possible fire hazard, or will it just cause the lights to fail?