bathroom lighting

Old 01-25-16, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom lighting

Member is in the UK.

I'm an electrican who took over a job half way through as another electrican walked out. When I got there there was a feed to the bathroom already, so I used that feed to incorporate a switch and the rest of the lights. Now when the job is near completion the lights won't come on. But I had already tested that they would work before installing them. So as I can't get them on I take a feed and neutral from another point to see if I can get them to work at all, but nothing there is power there but no lights on. So I change the fitting for a new one and still nothing. I've checked all of the neutrals and there's no loose connections. Can anyone help?

Last edited by ray2047; 01-25-16 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add members location.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-16, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Where are you located? Your profile is incomplete. Being an electrician, I am sure you have checked all wiring with an analog multimeter. If you have power to the light fixture, testing from hot to neutral, then your bulb may be burned out.

Old 01-25-16, 08:10 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Wiring

Is this new construction?

Is the circuit connected at the service panel?

Is the breaker turned on?

Old 01-25-16, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so I used that feed to incorporate a switch and the rest of the lights.
Not enough info in your description of the problem.

- Are you saying you connected a known good source of power directly to the light fixture(s)?
If they don't work, it's obviously the fixture.

- What is "the rest of the lights"? Was there one or more light fixtures wired already and you added wiring to additional fixtures, or tried to tie into existing fixtures?

Old 01-25-16, 09:56 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums. This is mostly a US and Canada forum. While basic electricity is electricity everywhere the UK has some quirks not found in North America such as ring circuits in some older wiring and fuses in things like plugs. It may be difficult for us to help because of variations in wiring practices. First though as suggested you need to go through and take readings with an analog multimeter.