Ballast or what ?

Old 01-26-16, 09:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ballast or what ?

I have to replace an old incandescent screw in light fixture in a house built in 1958. the fixture has a weird transformer like object attached to it with two wires coming off it. I have no idea what it is?? Is it a transformer? Is it a blast? Can I just replace the fixture??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-26-16, 09:14 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hard to imagine. Is the transformer fastened to the outside of the junction box? Does it look like this?

Name:  c905k_transformer.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  41.9 KB

If not post a picture. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 01-26-16, 09:27 PM
M
It looks exactly like that but the transformer is fastened outside the sheetrock right next to the white ceramic base of the light and the wires coming off it just go into the ceiling. I assume that it is attached to the junction box behind the sheetrock because it very solidly attached. Is it safe to remove the whole fixture and transformer? Where do those wires coming off the transformer go?

Old 01-27-16, 05:30 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Can you post a pic,if it is like the pic Ray posted then it is probably connected to your door chimes,the reason it seems tight is that it maybe stapled inside the ceiling.

Old 01-27-16, 06:25 AM
M
Ok, that makes sense that it is for the door chime. It's located right across the hall from the chime. I think I can figure out the rest from here. Thank you very much for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: