Oudside Light

Old 02-03-16, 01:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oudside Light

Problem lights don't work and just stop don't know why.

Starting at light switch wire 14/2 runs to plug (power source) from there goes to to 2 lights.

Have checked the bulbs bot work fine. Checked to make sure connection are tight.

Only have a tester that makes noise if power is there so don't know if there less power then what is needed to power the bulb but there power there when the switch is on and none when its off.

Any idea what is wrong?

Old 02-03-16, 01:55 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Only have a tester that makes noise
Useless for testing. You need a cheap analog multimeter (not digital).

Starting at light switch wire 14/2 runs to plug (power source) from there goes to to 2 lights.
Even assuming you mean receptacle not plug this is confusing. How many wires at the switch, their colors and how are they connected. Same info for the receptacle and light.

Old 02-03-16, 02:38 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not at the house right now but here what i remember.

At the receptacle Power comes in 3 black twisted together 1 main power 1 goes to receptacle the other the switch comes back on white connect to black that goes to light from that light it takes another black to a second light.

the white from the second light goes back to the first light then back to the receptacle all white twisted together with one going to receptacle.

Hope i have this right will have a better look next time i am there. There no problem with the receptacle powers a fridge. I know that it should be on its own circuit but i did not wire the place it was done at least 30 to 40 years ago.

Old 02-03-16, 04:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is there three two conductor cables at the receptacle? If so and I understand you it should be wired like this:

Name:  G.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  23.0 KB

Above does not meet 2011 NEC. If you are meeting 2011 NEC use 3-conductor cable for the switch loop.

Note: From your description you seem to have connected the black of the switch cable to the black of power in. The recolored white of the switch cable should go to the black of the power in. I have the white of the switch cable recolored black but it could be recolored red or any color but gray or green (or white).

Last edited by ray2047; 02-03-16 at 05:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: