Safety Check for Vanity Mirror Wiring

Old 02-05-16, 10:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safety Check for Vanity Mirror Wiring

I'm making a vanity mirror for my daughter, the kind with light bulbs all around it. I am more of a woodworker than an electrician so I'd love someone with more experience to tell me if I'm doing the wiring in the safest way possible. There will be 14 bulbs around the outside of the mirror (25W incandescent or 10W LED). Along the bottom will be a dimmer switch rated to 600W/150W and a 15 Amp GFCI outlet. I'm using 14 gauge wire and making the connections with wirenuts in plastic wiring boxes attached to the back of the frame. I'm sure the first thing she'll plug in is a hair dryer, and maybe at (separate) times a curling iron, both of which I know draw a lot, so I want to make sure I'm dotting my i's and crossing my t's. Here's a diagram. Thanks for any advice.
Name:  MDS00498.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  26.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-16, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The drawing is good. All bathrooms must be protected with a 20 amp circuit breaker and the receptacles must have GFCI protection in addition.. You can run your lights from that same dedicated circuit. Is there another receptacle in the bathroom? As I was typing I realized this may be for a bedroom rather than a bathroom. Hair dryers pull up to 18 amps at start up and with heating elements so 15 amp circuits may not be sufficient. It could require a rewire of that particular circuit to 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker if it doesn't already exist.

Old 02-05-16, 02:15 PM
T
Thank you Chandler, I appreciate your reply. Yes, this will be in a bedroom, at least to start. It will be be plugged into an outlet, not wired directly in, so it will be portable and no way to guarantee it will be always be on a 20A circuit as she moves around in the future. I just want to make sure the wiring of the mirror itself is safe and not the failure point. Thanks again.

Old 02-05-16, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Since most hair dryers have built in GFCI protection, and if you were to plug this into a bathroom GFCI, the one you propose would be redundant and could possibly cause nuisance trips. If not used in the bathroom, no GFCI is needed. If used in the bathroom you will plug it into one.

Old 02-06-16, 07:07 AM
T
Got it on the redundant GFCI. Thanks again Chandler.