light switch, on/off

Old 02-12-16, 01:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
light switch, on/off

Hey, just replaced a light switch that went to a ceiling fan/light assy. I changed the light switch one so I could dim the light.

Turned off c/b, removed old switch and installed wires onto new switch the same as the old switch.

Light comes on and dims and brightens but its in reverse, turn on switch for it to go off and off for it to go on. The switch is oriented correctly.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-16, 01:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Welcome to the forums. How are you defining turning the switch on and off?

Old 02-12-16, 01:30 PM
R
Its a flip switch like the old one, but with a dimmer slide next to it...and thanks for the welcome!!

Old 02-12-16, 01:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the switch marked on/off. Was this a switch that could be used either as a single location switch or a 3-way switch?

Old 02-12-16, 01:39 PM
R
no the switch isn't marked like the old with with on off, but there is a 'top' on the alum. plate around switch. And it can be used as a single pole or 3 way....the dimmer works like it should, up for bright, down for lower settings.

Last edited by Rondubya; 02-12-16 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 02:31 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
If I understand you correctly I don't think you have a problem. The toggle portion of the switch is operating correctly. Because it can be used also as a three way the toggle orientation does not matter. It can be in either direction if used as a three way. As a single pole the orientation just happens to be opposite of what you think.

Old 02-12-16, 02:46 PM
Norm has explained it correctly. You don't have a problem.

Tech note: Both single location switches and 3-way switches are single pole.

Old 02-12-16, 02:54 PM
R
Thanks, it makes sense but it my thinking it would apply if there were switches in two locations....even though the ceiling lite is a switch....so its just something to get used to? Thanks for the help fellas

Old 02-12-16, 03:18 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, if it can be used as a three way switch, it will have 3 terminals. For use as just on off, obviously you would use the common and one of the others. If OP switches to using common and the other terminal, it should flip the operation, no?

So, Rondubya, use the dark screw and the *other* light colored screw instead of the one you are using now.

The dimmer will be in series with the common terminal, so it should still work as before.

Old 02-12-16, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 149 Votes on 133 Posts
Tech note: Both single location switches and 3-way switches are single pole.
That is a bit confusing. Single pole and three way switches are not the same. Yes, they are technically both single pole, but a single pole is a single pole single throw (SPST) switch, and a three way is a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch. However in the stores you will normally find then idenified as "single pole" and "3 way" switches.

Old 02-12-16, 05:03 PM
R
Thanks for the replies....I can take a pic but I actually put back old switch as we have a house showing tomorrow morning, so I am not able to.

The switch is right next to the switch that controls the ceiling fan. The switch setup is a red wire on top, the bottom has a black wire, but its actually a wire that is looped around the screw with a section of insulation cut out, then it goes back into gang box.

Then the bare ground wire on the left side.

Old 02-12-16, 05:08 PM
That is a bit confusing.
Not to me.Maybe we need an outreach program to educate the copy writers for the stores and manufacturers. We could also explain the difference between outlet and receptacle and what nominal voltage in the U.S. is.

Old 02-12-16, 05:10 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
That is a bit confusing. Single pole and three way switches are not the same. Yes, they are technically both single pole, but a single pole is a single pole single throw (SPST) switch, and a three way is a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch. However in the stores you will normally find then idenified as "single pole" and "3 way" switches.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know how to reply to Ray although I knew he was correct, but I also knew I was not wrong. I should've used the SPST vs SPDT terms.