Smaller fixture = drywall patching needed

Old 02-18-16, 06:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smaller fixture = drywall patching needed

I've got a smaller pendant lighting array to replace a fluorescent one that went kaput. But the new one doesn't cover the hole made for the bracket that was left behind. Since I'm not real hot on patching larger holes in drywall, and I don't want to do it twice, a couple questions: what's the best way to approach a ceiling patch job (see photos). And: do I even need to keep the bracket at all? It has a little lip protruding beyond the ceiling in some places. The hole I'm referring to is not the little ones; I can handle those. Just the big one with wires. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  40.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 02-18-16, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The top picture is off a 4" lighting junction box. As long as there are live wires in it.... it can't be covered over.

It looks like you are installing some type of track. Most, if not all, track systems have a plate that can be mounted over an existing junction box to connect the track.

As it is now.... you have the wiring coming out of the box..... how did you intend to connect it to the track?

Halo, for example, uses a floating canopy cover which is also a power connection point.

Name:  halo.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  10.4 KB

Old 02-19-16, 04:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok. On further inspection, I found a plate to cover the box. Just shows how new to this I am and how little time I've had to dig through the box! . Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: