Connecting 6 fluorescent lights

Old 02-27-16, 07:53 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting 6 fluorescent lights

Hello -
I have six T8 24" single tube fluorescent light fixtures (10+ years old) that I want to use in my basement. I have a circuit available nearby that has only a few outlets on it. Is it okay to connect them all together and if yes what wire should I use to connect them? The house I live in was built in the mid 50's but I had a panel upgrade done a few years ago. Thanks.

Old 02-27-16, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Upvotes on 772 Posts
It is likely ok to add the lights to the existing circuit but if the existing circuit is not grounded it may not be extended. If the circuit is not grounded you will need to find power someplace else, add a ground wire, or run a new circuit.

The wire/cable should be sized to the rating of the fuse or circuit breaker feeding the circuit. #12 (12/2) for 20 amps, #14 (14/2) for 15 amps.

Old 03-01-16, 05:32 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. I have mapped out the house circuits and there is a 20 Amp circuit close to the fluorescent lights that has only an outdoor outlet on it. I use the outlet for electric yard tools (weed whacker, trimmer) and occasionally for vacuuming my vehicles using a shop vac. At Christmas I use it for outdoor lights. The outdoor outlet is GFCI and grounded. Is there a reason why this outlet needs to be the only thing on the breaker or would it be okay to use it. I do have other circuits that I can use. How do I calculate the max load on a circuit? Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-01-16, 08:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
s there a reason why this outlet needs to be the only thing on the breaker or would it be okay to use it.
No, you can use it. However if the breaker is a GFCI I wouldn't because any time the outdoor receptacle tripped the GFCI you would be in the dark. If it is a non GFCI breaker (no test button) and you decide to run the lights from the outdoor receptacle come off the line side of the receptacle so the lights aren't affected.

Old 03-01-16, 10:47 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. The outlet has a test button, so I would loose the lights if it was tripped.

The wire that runs from the panel to the outdoor outlet goes right past the spot where I want to put the lights. Is it safe (allowed) to interrupt the line and splice out of a box directly to the fluorescent lights? Thanks.

Old 03-01-16, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The wire that runs from the panel to the outdoor outlet goes right past the spot where I want to put the lights. Is it safe (allowed) to interrupt the line and splice out of a box directly to the fluorescent lights?
Yes, but you will probably need two boxes about a foot apart because it is unlikely you have a foot of slack in the cable.

When you cut the cable position the boxes so you have six inches of cable in each box then run a cable between the boxes about a foot longer than the distance between the boxes. Your lights can come off of either box.

If you want the switch for the light at a spot close to the cable the alternate method would be to cut the cable and run one end of the cable into the switch box. You would then run two cables from the switch box. One cable to the light and the other cable to the other cut end of the cable where they would be joined in a new box.

Terminology: Wire is a single conductor. Two or more wires in a metallic or nonmetallic sheath is a cable.

Old 03-03-16, 06:24 AM
A
Thanks. I will be putting in a switch as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: