Replacing under cabinet fluorescent with LED strips

Old 02-28-16, 06:54 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing under cabinet fluorescent with LED strips

Hello everyone, I am brand new to the forum and am about to be a first time home owner. The house I am purchasing currently has both above and under cabinet fluorescent lighting. I am wanting to take out the below cabinet lights and replace them with this : https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...#/tab/Overview

Both above and below lights are wired to their own wall switches. I am thinking that because of this, it will save me a lot of wiring hassle and hopefully I can just use the existing circuit to connect the LEDs to. I want to use the connection that is there currently for each of the fluorescent fixtures and attach LED strips to each of those. The kitchen is split with one side being U-shaped countertop separated in the middle by a stove and the other side just straight, separated in the middle by a refrigerator. I attached a drawing below to give a better idea of the layout. I'm guessing that the wiring is done through the soffit above the countertop.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  15.2 KB

So my question is, can I connect the transformer to the switch end and leave it in a cabinet and just use the existing wiring to connect the LEDs? As far as I know, it should effect the whole circuit if I add the transformer to the switch correct?

Old 02-28-16, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know how you were planning to connect the transformer to the switch, the transformer will require a receptacle to plug into. Unless the strip can be run unbroken you will likely need to install a receptacle and transformer at each section of cabinets. As for the existing wiring, you cannot mix line voltage and low voltage in the same box.

Old 03-02-16, 05:47 AM
P
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was worried about. I was planning on cutting the wires for the transformer and attaching it directly into the power going into the switch box, essentially interrupting the current before it reached the switch. However, I'm realizing now that since there is more than one switch at that box, I can't do that. I guess at this point I would be looking at running new wires for the whole LED circuit and giving them their own dedicated switch box or just rely on using solely the remote it comes with.

Old 03-02-16, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
Just FYI..... that kit you linked to is one 16.5' LED tape kit. It can be shortened to fit in a smaller area but you don't get multiple connection points which means once you cut it... the cut off piece is useless. You'd need to buy a kit for each area.

Old 03-17-16, 06:29 AM
P
I was assuming that when I cut it, as long as each section was all on the same circuit it would work fine. If they're all linked together, it should work with the one transformer/controller correct?

Also, If I was to use the existing wiring and just not connect it to the existing switch box, could that be done? I know Tolyn said that low voltage and line voltage cannot be mixed in the same box but what about if I don't run it to the box and just rely on using the remote to turn it on and off? I am just not wanting to run all new wiring through the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: