LED Dimmer Switch Troubleshooting

Old 03-01-16, 07:28 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED Dimmer Switch Troubleshooting

Hi, first time poster here, hope to be on more as I tackle minor projects around my new (new to me, at least) house.

I recently upgraded all my light bulbs and fixtures to LED. I bought the products from HD, and the lights all work great, except for those on the dimmer switch. I have 6 lights in my basement tied to one dimmer switch, and it doesn't dim quite as much as my old lights did which is a small problem. But the bigger problem is that even if I click the light off, there is still a VERY faint glow from all 6, or sometimes, just one of the bulbs.

I checked both the items compatibilities with each other (specs and links below), so I'm not sure what I did wrong, could I have connected the wiring wrong? Could the lights or swi

If any pics of it would help answer, let me know.

Feit Model # BR30DM65 (light bulb)
http://www.usa.philips.com/consumerf...ilitySheet.pdf

Lutron Diva Model # DV-600PR-WH (dimmer switch)
http://www.feit.com/Dimmer_Compatibility

Old 03-01-16, 07:31 PM
G
mine do the same, they just don't dim as much as incandescent bulbs

Also my LEDs glow for 3-8 seconds after you click them off too

Old 03-01-16, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As an electrician I run into these problems all the time. I have found the best dimmer to use is the Lutron Maestro. They make a CL model for CFL and LED use. The dimmer works very good on LED's. I haven't found anything that works well for CFL's. It's a few dollars more than most but to me it's worth it.

The biggest problem with most dimmers is that they rely heavily on bulb power consumption to dim properly. LED's present a light and unstable load.

The Maestro has a programmable ramp level that adjusts the dimmer to dim properly with most loads.

lutron/en-US/Products/MaestroDimmerSwitch/Overview.aspx

Old 03-02-16, 05:45 PM
N
Thanks, glad to hear it's not me! I'll get them exchanged this weekend and see what that changes.

Old 03-02-16, 07:19 PM
It's not you
You could spend a week reading compatibility charts and at the end it might say in small print "your experience may vary" or you will discover it on your own.
It is getting easier though compared to a few years ago to find full range dimming.

Old 03-05-16, 06:51 PM
N
Thanks PJmax for the advice on the Maestro switch, the dimming range is MUCH better for what I was hoping to get. I only replaced it tonight, but there is still 1 bulb glowing after I turn it off (at least not all 6 now). Given they are LED I know they aren't drawing that much power, do I need to be concerned if the lights never go out about wasting power or killing the bulb too fast? The Maestro switch does have the pull tab for "replace bulb" that turns them all the way off, if I get too crazy.

And for anyone wondering, below is the difference.

Diva dimmed all the way:
Name:  Diva.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  15.3 KB

Maestro dimmed all the way:
Name:  Maestro.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  8.6 KB

Old 03-05-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Did you find the programming instruction section where it tells you how to set the dimmer end stops?

Old 03-11-16, 11:18 AM
N
Yes, there was instructions that came with the switch. Where you hold a couple buttons at the same time and set the low setting until it is not flickering. Which for my case, was as low as I could put it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: