So many wires

Old 03-03-16, 06:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So many wires

I came home to my diy wife asking me to put up a new light fixture she got but I'm not sure how to do it. There are 6 wires coming out of the wall (2 black, 2white, 2 copper ground). One of the black wires has power to it when I turn the switch on, the other wires never got power regardless of the switch being on or off. The light fixture has 2 sets of wires coming out of it. One set has 2 black and 2 white, the other is the same but with a ground as well. There is only 1 light switch in the room and 1 outlet.

Old 03-03-16, 06:54 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The new fixture is connected to the same wires the old one was connected to any other connections are left as they are. Note we ignore grounds in our discussions because they aren't relevant to operation so we are talking about 4 wires.

If you can't remember how it was we need to know the whole circuit. You have only described half the circuit. The other half is at the light.

If there are only two wires at the switch with black and white on the switch here is probably how it was wired.

Name:  Sw_Loopb-pre-2011.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  24.4 KB

Old 03-03-16, 06:56 AM
B
Received 321 Upvotes on 283 Posts
What was connected to the 6 wires originally since wires don't usually stick out of the wall? Sounds like the new light has multiple bulbs that can be wired individually to separate switches or some combination thereof. What is your intent?

Old 03-03-16, 06:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What was connected to the 6 wires
Bellezebob, he really only had four wires. He counted the grounds as part of the circuit. Probably a standard switch loop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: