outdoor spotlight on timer blinking

Old 03-03-16, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outdoor spotlight on timer blinking

I have had two spotlights on my front yard shining at my house for several years on a timer, on at dusk off at dawn. Recently, one of them has been clicking on then off, then on,then off, etc. It works fine when I turn the timer to just the on setting, but the blinking remains when the timer is set. I bought a new timer, thinking the old one broke, but the light does the same with the new one so I assume its the junction box and maybe a loose wire that needs tightening, but why then would it work fine in the "on" position? I dont want to keep turning it on and off manually every night. It's cold!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-16, 07:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there also a photocell? Have you changed bulbs from incandescent to CFL or LED?

Old 03-03-16, 07:53 AM
Yes, there is also a photocell and no I have not changed the bulbs to CFL or LED, still using incandescent out there

Old 03-03-16, 07:56 AM
Try bypassing the photocell and see if you still have a problem.

Old 03-03-16, 08:05 AM
would bypassing the photocell on my current timer fix this, even if I had the same problem with a new timer installed?

Old 03-03-16, 08:26 AM
would bypassing the photocell on my current timer fix this, even if I had the same problem with a new timer installed?
Yes, if the problem is the photocell.

Old 03-03-16, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Ill try it out this evening and let you know

Old 03-08-16, 12:19 PM
so I covered the photocell on the timer hoping that would work... Unfortunately the light is still clicking on and off. Maybe I did something wrong. Are there steps I should've followed for this to work or a time of day, etc?
Name:  Timer.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  15.4 KB

Old 03-08-16, 03:06 PM
I didn't say cover it. I said bypass it. That means wire nutting together the two hot wires, power in and power out to it (but not the neutral) however please do not try that because what I see isn't what I expected.

That appears to be a plug in timer. That does not appear to be suitable for what you are using it for. Everything should be hard wired. Can you give us a picture of the whole set up?

Old 03-11-16, 05:45 AM
This is it, timer and spot light.
Sorry one of the pictures is upside down and I cant remove it.
thank you!

Attached Images   
Old 03-11-16, 08:56 AM
Not code compliant. You do not have an in use cover on the receptacle box and you are using what amounts to an extension cord but extension cord are not intended for permanent use. You have a cord run in such a way it is a trip hazard. Best to get rid of the jerry rigging and do it correctly by hard wiring.

No real way to fix your problem because the problem is probably in the timer which is a non repairable item.

Final comment is a photocell, if you have one, built in to a timer is an oxymoron. The purpose of a timer is to be used in place of a photo cell.

Old 03-11-16, 09:24 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Final comment is a photocell, if you have one, built in to a timer is an oxymoron. The purpose of a timer is to be used in place of a photo cell.
Ray, photocell and timer were often used in combination to allow the light to come on at dusk and then go off before dawn by the timer setting. It could have also been used to turn on the light some time after dusk and then off at dawn. These were also done to avoid having to reset the timer throughout the year to accommodate the changing time of dusk and dawn. Of course, if the light was to be on for the entire time from dusk to dawn then a photocell alone was the proper solution.

Today I would recommend using an astronomic time clock if a simple photocell didn't give the desired action. These automatically adjust for the changing times of dusk and dawn as well as offering timing periods before and after the astronomic events. Prices start at around $25 for an indoor plug-in model and go up with weatherproof enclosures.

Old 03-11-16, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the correction, Furd.

Old 03-14-16, 09:58 AM
Thank you guys for your help and input. I am still confused by what is causing the timer to "click" itself on, then off continuously. I do not believe it is the timer itself because I bought a new one and had the same issue so I have to assume its something else, maybe the outlet itself. Ive had this spot light shining on my house for a couple years now and never had an issue or problem besides a burnt out bulb every few months.

Old 03-14-16, 01:21 PM
Wire according to code and if you still have a problem we will be glad to help if you still have a problem.