Dimmers on recessed lighting

Old 03-08-16, 09:00 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmers on recessed lighting

Disclaimer: I'm the opposite of handy, but this seemed too simple to justify calling someone. If you can prove me right on that, it'd be much appreciated

I have a hallway with three canned lights. There are two switches that control these lights (two way switch?).

Is it a simple job to replace the regular bulbs with LED dimmable bulbs, and also just one of the two switches with a dimmer switch?

Would it cause any problems that only one switch is a dimmer switch? And or that I'm switching out normal bulbs with LED dimmable bulbs?

Any recommendations on what or what type of equipment to get?

Thank you so much in advance!

Old 03-08-16, 09:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
(two way switch?)
No, 3-way switches. Your other question depends on the manufacturer of the dimmer. A few older style dimmers will work with a regular 3-way as the other switch but some require a slave. LEDs often don't work well with LEDs even if the LEDs are dimable. See this thread for more info: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...eshooting.html

Old 03-08-16, 09:39 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you I'll check that out! If I'm determined to do it (better or worse), any other advice?

Old 03-09-16, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Simplest way is to replace the dimmer switch with one that is compatible to LED's. It will say so on the packaging. It must be a 3 way dimmer.

Old 03-09-16, 04:26 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If you do replace the dimmer pay close attention to the location of the conductors on the old switch,one will be a dark colored screw make sure you connect it to the correct one on the dimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: