Recessed Lighting/High Hat Nightmare

Old 03-11-16, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Recessed Lighting/High Hat Nightmare

Decided to put in just two high hats in my SMALL (light-less) 8 foot ceiling living room. I didn’t want to put them right above the TV out of fear of a glare so I put them just in front of the couch. After 10 minutes of watching TV I realized I had a serious issue. I was going blind from the light BLARING in my eyes. Just in front of the couch or not, the light was right there and it was obvious I had made a huge mistake (thanks licensed electrician for your expertise!). I picked up two “Wall wash” trims which have the back half of the trim covered and away from my eyes and are meant for directing light forward only (towards tv and floor/wall) but at the same time it means the room is darker. Has anyone else ever had experience with this? Where do high hats typically get placed?? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-16, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You didn't say the size of the room or the size of the cans you had installed but, in my opinion two cans in a living room is not enough light. Two cans would be good for accent lighting and that is all.

For general area lighting I will evenly space cans throughout the room normally in two rows, but rather then cut the room into thirds, I will put the rows in quarters. (Aprox.)

Example:

Name:  can layout.png
Views: 116
Size:  3.0 KB

For the glare on the TV, if you tilt the TV down to the floor you can eliminate most glare.

I would suggest adding more cans and then adding a dimmer you adjust the light down to an acceptable level.

(thanks licensed electrician for your expertise!)
Electricians are not lighting designers, I will however add my input if a customer asks.

Old 03-11-16, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How about a dimmer for the lights? You might actually like the current placement if you try to read or have a conversation on the couch.

- Peter

Old 03-12-16, 12:42 PM
I don't know the exact size of the room but that is rather irrelevant in my opinion. The problem is simply that the cans (6 inchers) are directly above the couch blasting me in the face when I watch television.

As far as the dimmer, of course I tried dimming them halfway but truthfully it's still a problem. And even if dimming them down did work, there are plenty of times I'd want more light in the room

Old 03-12-16, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Try installing some adjustable eyeball trims. Google "6" adjustable trims" They will give you more adjustment of the light.

Otherwise the only other fix I can think of is to move the cans, and patch and paint the holes. Lesson learned.

Old 03-12-16, 04:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could also leave the lights where they are and add more on a different switch. No holes to patch from removing and they would be available when you needed light for reading and such.

Old 03-12-16, 07:37 PM
It sounds to me like the only solution is to move the cans. You can get help here on how to do it.
It will be easier than what the electrician did now that cable is in the ceiling.

The only problem with moving the lights is fixing the ceiling. I would recommend a pro drywall finisher redo the entire ceiling if budget allows, or you can do that also.

Old 03-13-16, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try "regressed eyeball trims" which is basically small eyeball lights regressed up into the trim so they don't protrude and make my living room seem like an art studio. They should give the room a lot more light now and most of it not right in my eyes/face.

Ordering them online tomorrow. Will let you know how it all goes!