GE Zwave 3 Way Help

Old 03-13-16, 11:46 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Zwave 3 Way Help

So, I am trying to figure out how to install my 3, 3 way GE Zwave switches. One is the main switch, the other 2 are the add on switches. My home was built in the mid 70's and the witing has me a bit confused. Needless to say I need help in locating where my power comes in and how to wire everything up.

I attached an image that shows each of the current switches and their states when on, or off.

I am assuming switch 1 is the main switch, with 2 and 3 being the secondary switches.

My new switches I want to install, starting with the main GE 3way switch has 4 hookups, Load - Line - Neutral - Traveler.

The secondary Switches Have, Traveler - Neutral.

Please help!

Old Switches:
Name:  3way-outlet.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  16.0 KB

New Switches:
Name:  3way-ZWAVE.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  18.7 KB

Old 03-13-16, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm on the road so my time is a little short right now. I moved your switches.
#2 is where the power is. #1 is the four way switch. #3 is the other three way switch where load is.

Name:  3way-outlet.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  15.5 KB

Pick the location for the main/primary dimmer..... #2 or #3 ?

Old 03-13-16, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
This is the wiring method used.

At switch 2...... the black wire on the C screw is 120v hot and should be marked as hot.
Follow the red and white wires from switch 2 into their their three wire cable. Locate the black wire that comes out of that same three way cable. Right now it will spliced to another black wire. ID this connection as lights.

Name:  3way-outlet - Copy.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  15.3 KB

We will be abandoning the black wire that is in the three way cable from #2 to #1 to #3. Don't do anything with the black at switch 1. It's already capped off. You'll be capping the black at 2 and 3.

I'm just adding notes as I think of them.

Old 03-13-16, 02:23 PM
D
So, will my zwave switches work for this setup? Sorry, I dont know if its becouse its sunday or what but im having a hard time figuring it up. Lets say I set the primary dimmer to switch #2. I have line, Load, Neutral, and Traveler. So, black to Line. White to neutral. Red to Load or Traveler? On my switch it tells me for the traveler no 120v?

Last edited by Dan Hahn; 03-13-16 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Start with the wiring at switch #3:
Connect the white to neutral of switch.
Connect the red to the traveler of the switch.
Cap off the black wire.

At switch #1:
Leave the black wires as they are.
Connect the two white wires together and then to neutral on the switch.
Connect the two red wires together and then to the traveler on the switch.

At switch #2:
You will need to look into the box and locate the black wires I previously mentioned.
You will also need to look into the box and locate the neutral connection. There should be at least two white wires connected together and wire nutted off.

The white traveler AND the neutral from the GE switch go to the neutral connection in the box.
The red traveler goes to the traveler connection on the GE switch.
The black wire that WAS on the C terminal of the switch is your hot and goes to line on the GE switch.
The two black wires that are connected in a splice....... the black wire that goes into the same three wire cable as the white and red travelers gets capped off. The other black wire should be going into a two wire cable..... and goes to LOAD on the GE switch. The white of this two wire cable will be one of the whites in the neutral connection.

Name:  3way-ZWAVE.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 03-13-16, 06:33 PM
D
I appreciate all the help. Ill give this another go tomorrow evening. Thanks again!

Old 03-14-16, 01:15 PM
D
So, I have #1 and # 3 figured out, #2 If im not mistaken goes like the images below...

Current Setup:

Name:  hallway-box.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  16.0 KB

With the 3-way switch:

Name:  hallway-box-2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  18.0 KB

Old 03-14-16, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
You've got it right. (nice job with the diagram too)

Old 03-14-16, 01:43 PM
D
Progress! Thank you so much for the help. I've been bashing my head against the wall for a while now trying to figure this out on my own, im fine with single switches and outlets but this was beyond me. Certainly could not have done it alone without your help! Too bad your not local, I need a Pro to come in and hookup a meter I got that goes on my main wires in the breaker box, I'm staying away from DIY'ing that one!

Old 03-14-16, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
If you can visualize the wiring..... those switches are easy to install. I need good pictures or diagrams to work from and yours were perfect. That makes my job easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: