Ceiling Fan Issue - Lights not working, nor is fan working.

Old 03-18-16, 08:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ceiling Fan Issue - Lights not working, nor is fan working.

Hello All!

Hopefully someone can help me out there! Couple a weeks ago ceiling fan in bedroom went out. I didn't have the fan on at the time it went out, but the lights were on and they went out. I thought maybe it was the light bulbs, although unlikely to all go out, but tried out and nothing. Tested the pull chains, and nothing no lights, no fan spinning.

I later, tested the switch and its working correctly, and also tested the wires going to the fan's remote controller/blackbox to the ceiling fan, and they were working correctly also.

I opened up that remote controller/black box to see if it was blown, and it looks fine, I didn't see any blown capacitors, or black spots/burn spots.

What else could it be, I googled, and some people said the pull chain light switch, but would that also cause problem with fan? I also read about replacing a capacitor?

I'm at a loss.

Old 03-18-16, 12:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I later, tested the switch and its working correctly, and also tested the wires going to the fan's remote controller/blackbox to the ceiling fan, and they were working correctly also.
Please explain what you mean by testing.

Old 03-18-16, 04:48 PM
M
I connected other items to the switch, and it worked

Old 03-18-16, 05:04 PM
Z
Received 131 Upvotes on 122 Posts
I connected other items to the switch, and it worked
How does that test switch-to-remote and remote-to-fan?

You still did not explain what

and also tested the wires going to the fan's remote controller/blackbox to the ceiling fan, and they were working correctly also.
means.

Why wouldn’t you be measuring voltage at the remote instead of “testing wires”?

Old 03-19-16, 01:53 PM
M
I didn't explain myself well, my apologies.

At first, I tested the wires from the switch to the ceiling fan, to make sure everything was in order, and it was.

Then yesterday, when I got home after work, I performed a voltage reading on the remote controller(dimmer) and determined that it went bad.

Found a replacement, but determined that the replacement was just as expensive as a new ceiling fan. So ended up replacing it, and now everything is working correctly.

Old 03-19-16, 02:33 PM
Z
Received 131 Upvotes on 122 Posts
Glad to hear you are back in business MC! Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: