Replacing recessed light: keep or ditch existing junction box?

Old 03-20-16, 10:17 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing recessed light: keep or ditch existing junction box?

As always, thanks in advance to any ideas/suggestions/assistance on this.

Replacing two existing recessed lights in my kitchen with two chandeliers (my wife's idea of course).

The recessed light came out in a flash... it was all clips. There is some plate around the hole on the inside of the drywall but it doesn't seem like it will be in my way at all. I am planning to use one of those round ceiling boxes with the adjustable brace to mount the chandelier to.

Here is my question:

There was a metal junction box up in the ceiling off to the side, with flexible metal conduit coming out that was attached to the old light/socket. Which of the below ideas is best and allowable:

Option A. Detach this metal conduit from the socket and simply reattach it to the new junction box I'm adding (I'd essentially have two junction boxes right next to each other with the flexible metal conduit joining them)
Option B. Remove the metal conduit completely and run Romex from the existing junction box to the new one.
Option C. Remove the old junction box entirely and replace with the new one.

Option A seems like the easiest/fastest/least complex: there is space for both boxes and it's going to be way easier that trying to reach up into the wall to rearrange anything with what's up there already. I cannot see any reason why this wouldn't be an acceptable approach... but this wouldn't be the first time what seemed reasonable to me was called out for some reason.

I am assuming if I do go with option A the new junction box needs to also be metal and I cannot use the blue plastic ones (I see both available). I don't see a ground wire coming out of the metal conduit so I am guessing the conduit itself is the ground and therefore I need a metal box.

Old 03-20-16, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Once the can is removed.... you should have access to the cover on the splice box. Pop that cover off, remove the feed from that box and move it to your new box. The flex lead is only approved for use with the can that you removed.

Old 03-20-16, 10:56 AM
S
Exactly what I was hoping you wouldn't say

Thanks for the help PJmax!

Old 03-20-16, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Were you not able to get the cover off and the wire out ?
I've got big hands and I'm able to work inside the junction box.

Old 03-20-16, 11:30 AM
S
I was. Just going to take a bit longer. I have two small kids so every second counts. Thanks again!

Old 03-20-16, 11:30 AM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Agree with Pete, but if the feed to the old box won't reach to the new box, then nothing wrong with using a short length of romex between the old and the new, as long as the old box, now serving as a junction box, can be accessed if necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: