Need some help installing a ceiling fan! My wife thinks I'm useless.

Old 03-20-16, 04:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some help installing a ceiling fan! My wife thinks I'm useless.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  20.6 KB

Thanks for reading this post.

So I am installing a couple ceiling fans in a new construction condo. I've read as much as possible on the net but my situation seems a little different so I thought I would post a pic and ask the question here to you fine folks.

My ceiling bracket is rated for a fan but out of the ceiling only comes one short looped orange wire, one white looped wire, and a long yellow wire.

My job is to connect a remote controlled fan with lighting to one switch. Out of the remote control comes a white and black wire. Where do I connect the white and black wire? My ceiling plate also has a green ground wire but where would I connect that? No green ground wire is coming out of the ceiling.

Old 03-20-16, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Your location would be helpful but based on your wiring I would suspect you are in Chicago or North East coast (NY/NJ).

That existing box does not look to be a fan rated box based on the screw holes and ears. The screw holes need to be size 10-32. The orange is likely your hot wire passing through, the white is the neutral, and the yellow is likely the switch leg. The green will be connected to the metal box if it is a grounded metal box. Since you said this was new construction I would assume it is but you should check to be sure.

Old 03-20-16, 04:44 PM
C
Yes good guess! I'm in Chicago. The box should be fan rated. I presume this to be true because I can see the word fan inscribed in the box. So I get the part where I screw down the ground from the plate to the box. But it's all still a bit hazy as to the rest.

Can I cut the white loop and orange loop? Where would I attach the white and black wires from the remote?

Views: 259
Size:  18.2 KB

Old 03-20-16, 04:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The box should be fan rated. I presume this to be true because I can see the word fan inscribed in the box.
That is always a good indicator and the stacked ears seem to confirm it.
. So I get the part where I screw down the ground from the plate to the box.
Not sure what you mean. There are holes in the back of the box tapped for a 10-32 ground screw. The fan green wire goes there.
Can I cut the white loop and orange loop?
Usually you don't touch the orange assuming is unswitched power. Basically with no remote black to yellow and white to white. However we need more information about the remote to answer how it is connected. Is it a universal remote with five wires plus ground or is it part of the fan?

Old 03-20-16, 05:13 PM
C
Here are some more pics Ray

The first is with the plate screwed in so you can see the ground wire. The second is the remote. The fan itself doesn't have a ground. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  15.3 KB
Views: 326
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 03-20-16, 05:24 PM
If the wires on the right side of the remote in your picture are marked line then the black goes to house yellow. All whites are connected together. The orange house is not touched.

The fan black goes to the remote black on the left side and fan blue to fan yellow. Check the left side is marked load and yellow labeled light if not post back.

Diagram assumes fan yellow is for light. If it isn't post back.

Name:  X.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  21.6 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 03-20-16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 05:52 PM
C
Thanks for your help Ray

I just needed a little nudge before cutting the white loop coming out of the ceiling. Here is a pic of the back of the remote which probably confirms your thoughts. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 03-20-16, 06:24 PM
Hard to read but it seems to say remote yellow is fan. If so then remote yellow goes to fan black.

All grounds are pigtailed to the ceiling box.

Old 03-20-16, 06:42 PM
C
Yes yellow to black

Per the instructions. Thanks again Ray. I'll give it the ole college try tomorrow when there is light and post pics of my victory or failure. Cheers.

Old 03-29-16, 06:12 PM
C
I wanted to post an afterward, first just to thank Ray. Ray thank you. Your diagram was spot on and I was able to wire up the fan in no time. Second just to confirm to anyone else in the midwest or NJ/NY that has a similar wiring situation to follow these steps and don't be afraid to try it. Just turn the power off and snip away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: