What is this wire for?

Old 03-25-16, 07:15 AM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
What is this wire for?

A few days ago, I backed into my yard light pole...the plastic shielded cable was compromised and when it rained it must have shorted. That line controls (in order from the service panel), a utility room light, garage door opener (via ceiling outlet), and then out to the yard light. The yard light and the garage door outlet are dead.

I expected to find a tripped breaker in the service panel, but there was none. I tripped the breaker out to investigate. I noticed that, with the breaker out, the utility room overhead light was no longer energized...so the problem must be between the utility light and the garage door outlet.

I pulled the garage door outlet out and noticed that the White wire (neutral), was wired to the power side (Black) of the outlet.

Next to the garage door outlet, there was a standard, small square metal box that is serving as a junction box. There in lies the question...two Black wires are connected with a wire nut. There are two White wires also connected with a wire nut but along with the two White wires, there is a small bare wire also twisted in to them. What the heck is that little bare wire fastened to the Neutrals for or do?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-16, 07:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please post pictures of what you are describing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 03-25-16, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
The bare wire is likely a ground that somebody incorrectly connected to the neutral.

Have you looked for a tripped GFCI someplace? Garage, bathroom, basement are common places to look.