Advice on Recessed Lighting for Kitchen

Old 04-04-16, 08:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on Recessed Lighting for Kitchen

I'm planning to install recessed lighting in my kitchen (none before) and have torn out the ceiling so will be using 'new construction' cans. I have attached the layout which shows the existing kitchen and the 2nd floor beams above it. The two obstructions I have to deal with are a plumbing vent pipe (magenta) and water lines (green). I will have to re-route one of the water lines but prefer not to disturb the vent pipe. I realize for 120 square feet this may be overdoing it but I want to be sure I have things well lit. The 'P' is for pendant lights while the others are all 6 inch cans. Too much lighting?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Kitchen Lights Model.pdf (32.7 KB, 141 views)
Old 04-04-16, 08:51 AM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
You have a little over 100 sq feet. Ignoring the pendants and assuming 60 watt or equal, you've got about 70-75 lumens per square foot, which is reasonable for a kitchen.

One thing I suggest you check: Temporarily install one of the cans with the lamp and trim you intend, and make sure you won't have shadows on the countertops when standing at working position. From your sketch, it looks ok, but always best to test if can. If the lights are too far back they can cast annoying shadows when you're working at the counter.

I'd think twice about moving that vent to get the third row to line up with the others. It's not a lot of work to do, and having one row offset will probably bug you. (but not the end of the world).

Old 04-04-16, 11:53 AM
M
Thanks Paul. Testing the over-the-counter lighting is a good idea; I'll do that. If it appears too shadowy, would you recommend going with 4" cans closer to the cabinets (just for counter top lighting?). I agree that the non-symmetery of the pattern does bug me and re-routing the vent isn't that big of a deal.

Old 04-04-16, 12:29 PM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
The typical solution would be to move the cans a little closer to the counters if you can. You can also experiment with different lamp beam angles (flood instead of spot, for example). Under cabinet lighting is the third option.

Testing a single fixture will always look worse than the final installation because the other lamps contribute light from the side as well, so don't worry if there are minor shadows.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-16, 09:00 AM
M
I tested with one light installed and found it to be fine. I'm using Sylvania 65 watt (equivalent) LEDs. I'll be tackling moving the water and vent line this weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: