Confusing light fixture wiring

Old 04-09-16, 07:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Confusing light fixture wiring

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Been searching a bit to answer my problem but I don't know enough electrical jargon to really find what I was looking for.

Quick history on my house: built in 1963, the interior was completely remodeled in 2010 a year before we bought it. Inspector had warned us that the house was not grounded but that this wasn't against code because of the age of the house.

As for my problem, I was removing a light fixture to replace with another as I have done in different rooms. However this one has 3 different sets of wires. After I disconnected them I lost power to two other lighting fixtures in two separate rooms. I fixed this by reconnecting two white (neutral?) wires which got me power back in the other two rooms..

Here are some pictures:

Name:  IMG_3710.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  29.2 KB
This picture shows the two white wires taped back together (I did this to get power back to the other rooms). I cant remember where the second white wire went to before I disconnected, so really my main question is if this is a safe/proper hookup.

Name:  IMG_3711.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  31.5 KB
Here is a close up image of the wiring.

If anyone could tell me whats going on here that would be helpful. I'm guessing someone sliced this fixtures wiring to wire the other two rooms' fixtures? Also, if I wanted to not have a light fixture at all, what would be the proper connections to still send power to my other two rooms.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-16, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a switch loop there.

You have three cables coming into the box. One is power in, one is power out and one is the switch. The two whites of the two power cables and the two blacks get connect together. According to the picture.... this is already done.

The third cable is the switch loop. The white wire sends hot down to the switch. That leaves you a splice of the two black wires and the one white wire. Cap that off. The black wire going to the switch is your switched fixture hot. The white fixture goes to the two white wire splice.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  16.7 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: