Pendant light length adjust question

Old 04-16-16, 05:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pendant light length adjust question

My wife bought some Soder pendant lights that I installed today but I'm not too happy with the poor method of length adjustment. Trying to get them both hanging at the same height when it relies on nothing more than position of the knot in the cord is not fun (see photo). I'd like to retrofit them with something a little more 'upscale'. Any ideas how I might improve this or photos from how other brands do it?

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-16, 06:13 PM
Just looking at the drawing, the lights were not designed to be hung by the cord.

Looks like you need some chain links.

Old 04-16-16, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
I agree. The loop over the fixture is a chain fastening eye.

Did the fixtures come with some type of canopy ? (junction box cover)

Old 04-17-16, 04:09 AM
M
She said they were displayed at IKEA hanging from the cord. No chains. They do have a canopy that slides up the cord and pinches it to stay in place. I'm not really worried about the strength of the cord; it does seem plenty strong enough.

Attached Images   
Old 04-17-16, 04:50 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I don't believe a chain would work with that canopy,the chain normally slides up through the canopy and attaches to a stem connected to the box bar,I have hung fixtures like those a they are pain,both height adjustment and getting the cord to stay straight.

Old 04-17-16, 05:11 AM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Can you find a small clamp with smooth inside and set screws that don't penetrate the cord that would grip the cord uniformly over a 3/4" to 1" length and for which a link can be fashioned to go over the hook in the ceiling box?

This would be hidden by the canopy.

Old 04-17-16, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
I have hung many a pendant, although there is nothing worse then Ikea light fixtures!

Many tines the bottom furle on the canopy is what actually grips the cord. There is kind of a grip in the end. The knot is just here as a back up safety. I have also used a ziptie/tie wrap around the cord instead of tying the knot which I set snug until I get the correct height, then tighten it down.

Old 04-18-16, 06:42 PM
M
Thanks guys, both good ideas. The canopy on these lights doesn't support anything. The cord supports it so the only thing holding the light is that knot in the cord... These must be the super-economy model....

Old 04-18-16, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I just measure the cord length and then tighten down the clamp under the sliding canopy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: