Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Replacing 7 traditional flood lights with 7 LED (recessed) - all stop working ..

Replacing 7 traditional flood lights with 7 LED (recessed) - all stop working ..

Old 04-20-16, 10:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi - I want to upgrade my kitchen recessed lighting to LED lights to save money. there are 7 traditional flood lights installed today. I swapped the first 6 wit no issue, all worked well. As soon as I remove the 7th traditional flood light, all 6 of the already installed (and working fine) LED bulbs stop working. Even after I install the 7th LED bulb in, none will work. I replace the 7th bulb with back to the traditional flood light - all 7 work fine. WTH??? Why does the recessed lighting stop working when the 7th (last) LED bulb is installed?

These lights are on a dimmer.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 12:40 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Replace the dimmer with a regular switch and see if it works. Some dimmers don't like LEDs and some LEDs don't like dimmers.

I have two recessed fixtures and when I used a dimmable LED in one they both worked with the dimmer but when I replaced both incandescents with LEDs they would not go off, only dim to a certain level.

Old 04-20-16, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Some dimmers require a minimum number of watts to work. The seven LEDs may be two little but using an incandescent in the seventh light increases the watts to where it works.

Old 05-01-16, 09:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have done that before - left one incandescent lamp in the circuit to make an old dimmer work with LEDs. I have even made some non-dimmable LEDs work with the dimmer this way.

Other options include installing dimmable LEDs with a new dimmer that can take LEDs and CFLs.