Ceiling fan: New cap and/or 3 speed switch?

Old 04-21-16, 12:05 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan: New cap and/or 3 speed switch?

Ceiling fan in our LR has been running without a medium speed for months now; we have just lived with it. Recently we went out of town and I guess our pet-sitter turned on the fan - when we got home it was still turned on and no amount of pulling the chain would stop it. I opened the housing up planning to replace the cap and 3 speed switch based on info I found online.

One of the wires from the cap to the switch had disconnected, so I figured
that was why the medium speed went missing (so the cap may still be good?).

Just replaced the 3 speed switch and connected everything, and something ain't right. The fan won't turn off at all. Only speeds are medium-ish, and fast. The wires are connected the same way as they were on the old switch.

So what gives - do I in fact also need a new capacitor or should I just monkey around with the wiring to the switch to see if I can get it back to normal operation?

For reference, the capacitor info is:
BM CBB61
4.5uF/300V red wire
6 uF/250V brown wire
6 uF/250V purple wire
plus 2 gray wires
...and it looks fine - no bubbling or visible problems.

I used a 3 speed switch for dual capacitor fans (which I think is correct since there is 4.5 and 6uF listed on the capacitor).

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-21-16, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
If you pulled the fan chain and the fan didn't stop.... it sounds like the switch is bad.
A disconnected capacitor won't keep the fan running.

Since the fan still won't stop.... you have a possible wiring short or the new switch is wired wrong or is the wrong switch. The switch should have wiring hole numbers. The two switches need to match.

Old 04-22-16, 11:17 AM
H
Thanks for the reply, Pete. The old switch had wiring connections labeled 1, 2, 3, and L and were wired as follows:

gray 1
brown 2
purple 3
black L

I wired the new switch the same way and it gave the behavior I mentioned in my post - only 2 speeds, and no OFF. I played around with different wire configurations last night and still haven't found the right one. Depending on where certain wires were connected, I got MEDIUM or OFF (no high or low), MEDIUM and HIGH only, etc.

So is it just a matter of finding the right combo or is there likely something else needed besides the switch?

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-16, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
The numbers on the switch need to be in the same place. There are several switches that are labeled L-1-2-3 but the numbers aren't in order or in the same location.

This link explains it a little better.... SW300nn - HE Single Stack Switch Variants

Old 04-25-16, 10:01 AM
H
Thanks again! I ended up trying every wiring combination. The best I came up with was OFF/High/High/Medium. So we don't have a low speed anymore but it's good enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: