Ceiling fan/light acting up

Old 04-24-16, 09:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan/light acting up

Our house was built 12 years ago now and we had a ceiling fan/light installed in the living room with two switches to operate the fan and light independently of each other. Last fall they suddenly stopped working independently of each other. The light will turn on and off by itself but the fan will only come on if the light is on. Not a problem in the colder months but now that it is getting warmer again we want to be able to have the fan on without having the light on. I already tried replacing the switches themselves and that didn't help, not that I thought it really would but it was the only thing I really knew to try first. Any suggestions on what might cause this issue? The ceiling fan is a Hunter brand if that matters.

Old 04-24-16, 09:48 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
shut the power off and drop the canopy above the fan and Check the connections especially the neutral wires (white).

Old 04-24-16, 10:03 AM
B
That was the first thing I checked last fall when it first started. Everything seemed fine but I will check again just to make sure.

Old 04-24-16, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can we assume this fan has two pull chains and no wireless remote control for it's operation ?

It wouldn't be a neutral problem as a loss of neutral will cause nothing to work.
If the light switch needs to be on before the fan will work that indicates a problem at the switches.

Can you describe the wiring at the switches ?
I would imagine a red and black wire on one switch and a black and black wire on the other switch. One black from each switch may be connected together for power.

Old 04-24-16, 11:18 AM
B
No actually it has no pull chains and does have a remote.

When I bought new switches today I got 3 pole instead of 2 pole that was previously installed so not sure if that changes things. The switch on the left has 3 black wires and a ground. Switch on the right has a red wire, a black wire and a black jumper wire from the switch on the left.

Old 04-24-16, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Normally when you use the fan solely on wall switches the remote gets completely disconnected. Some remotes have a default they go to when power is removed.

It sounds like your remote is still connected and that leads us to how it was wired. When you have a remote in the fan there is normally a black, white and ground wire. You supply power to the remote unit and then use the wireless control.

With many remotes you can disconnect the remote wiring and go directly to the wall switches.

You should be using what are called single pole switches. Two connection terminals. You may find two black wires on one terminal. That could be corrected by making a splice with those two wires and adding a short tail to go to the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: