New ceiling fan slows down

Old 04-27-16, 07:23 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New ceiling fan slows down

I'm an electrical dummy and hope somebody can help me out here. We had a smoke alarm that was hard wired in the house with white/black/ground wires. We took the smoke alarm out and ran the wires to a new ceiling fan we installed. So the fan is not connected to any switch and it has a remote control. It is a Turn of the Century fan/light and we followed the installation instructions found here http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/i..._fn6786NEW.pdf.

It worked fine for a day. On the second day, after being on for about an hour, the fan slowed down so that it is barely turning. The light still works fine. We turned it off and the next day, same thing - it comes on no problem and works fine for a little while and then the fan slows down to a crawl.

Did we screw something up or did we just get a bad fan?

Old 04-27-16, 11:10 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did we screw something up
Yes, you removed the smoke alarm. Put it back. You probably violated local building code and certainly made your house less safe and if your smokes were interconnected perhaps affect their ability to work. In addition the ceiling box for a smoke detector was almost certainly not fan rated.

You need to run a new circuit for the ceiling fan and install a fan rated box. If when you do that it still doesn't work the fan is probably bad.

Old 04-27-16, 02:50 PM
K
LOL we didn't violate any building codes and we have plenty of working smoke alarms. The one we removed was from 1971 and was a hideous eyesore.

We also didn't use a ceiling box for a smoke alarm. There wasn't one. We put in a fan box.

Old 04-27-16, 03:33 PM
Since it has no chain pull switches I would suspect the remote has gone bad. Since it is a non integrated remote receiver you might call the manufacturer to see if they will replace it for free otherwise return the fan to where you bought it and get a replacement fan.

Name:  38.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 04-28-16, 08:34 AM
K
I can't imagine the problem would be the remote since the remote turns it on and off and switches speed with no problem. The problem only arises after it has been on for an hour or so and then the fan slows down on its own.

Old 04-28-16, 10:09 AM
The problem only arises after it has been on for an hour or so and then the fan slows down on its own.
Thermal fault of a capacitor is the most likely cause. If the capacitors are part of the fan rather than the remote you may be correct. Just return the fan. It is obviously defective.

Old 04-28-16, 01:08 PM
K
OK thanks for the info. I suspected that was probably the case but didn't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling it and re-installing a new one if the problem was some silly mistake on my part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: