Chandelier with dimmer switch dead

Old 04-27-16, 02:25 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chandelier with dimmer switch dead

I was trying to tighten up the chandelier and a spark went of and a pop and the light went out. I checked circuit breakers but no breaker tripped.

I went back and tried to turn the light on but nothing. I bought something to test if there is electric going to the box on the ceiling but theres a bunch of wires and i dont know what to check attached image.

Thanks for helping!
Name:  IMG_7137.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  24.7 KB
Name:  IMG_7140.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  28.8 KB

Old 04-27-16, 03:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I bought something to test if there is electric going to the box
If you bought a non contact tester you wasted your money. Go back and trade it for an $8-$15 analog (not digital) multimeter. The non contact tester is to prone to false positives to be used for real testing.

However it sounds like you fried the dimmer. If there are just two wires connected to the dimmer remove the wires and connect them together with a wire nut. Turn the breaker back on. If the light lights you have a bad dimmer.

Old 05-01-16, 07:58 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Find out first what caused the pop. You had a short circuit there.

Check the wires for places where the insulation is damaged. Look for places that are blackened where the short circuit happened. And mak4e sure the chandelier cover didn't pinch a wire.

The short circuit probably destroyed the dimmer. I have even seen a dimmer destroyed when a light bulb burned out (usually a cheap bulb with few filament supports).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: