Outdoor gooseneck installation

Old 04-30-16, 06:54 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outdoor gooseneck installation

I have 3 outdoor porcelain gooseneck lights I'd like to install outside my garage. The mounting area is under the roof eave and is wood 1by. These are pretty heavy and stick out about 17in so that should put a good amount of torque on the mounting. The lights come with a round fitting that the gooseneck pipe goes into.

I'm thinking this is simple - put a 2x6 on the inside of the garage and drill a hole through that and the siding. Then I can use some beefy screws into the siding and into the 2x6 on the other side. The wires for the light thread through the hole and I mount an electrical box on the 2x6 and make my connections there. I will use a good amount of caulk where the light connects to the siding.

Is this code legal? What if the wires for the light aren't long enough and I need to wire nut them in the gooseneck pipe to get the extra length to reach through the siding and 2x6? But I anticipate the wires will reach.

Just don't want to finagle a box to be flush and then have no place to mount the pipe base.

Old 04-30-16, 07:26 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
We can not see what your seeing without a picture.
Need a picture of where you plan to mount it and one of the light.

Old 04-30-16, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you want the light mounted on the outside of the garage and the electrical box on the inside of the garage. This is a no go.
The light fixture must be directly connected to a box and that's where the wiring will be contained.

Old 05-01-16, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
The exception to Handy's post would be a pole light similar to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65697[/ATTACH]

That type of light would have a cord coming out of the mounting pipe. Any splices would need to be inside the light fixture.

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-16, 12:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
But a true goose neck lamp according to Google looks like this:

Name:  farmhouse-outdoor-wall-lights-and-sconces.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  gooseneck-barn-lights.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  12.6 KB

Old 05-01-16, 01:13 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks ray - those pictures are exactly what I am preparing to install.

If I understand the code intent correctly, I need to connect the wire from the lamp in an electric box OR wishing the pole itself.

So if I mount the light on the siding and run the wires into a box that is inside the garage am I code compliant?

Old 05-01-16, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
It needs to be a UL listed box. Not just something homemade. All splices are required to be in an accessible box.

That light fixture is designed to be attached directly to a box. I would recommend either using a surface round weather proof box, or recess a flat 4" pan box that is mounted directly to a 2 x 4. You can drill the 2 x 4 and run the your cable from the switch into the back of the box, using the proper cable connector of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: