LED retrofit can lights

Old 05-04-16, 05:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED retrofit can lights

Hey guys I recently installed can lights in a ceiling in an office, replacing fluorescent , I used ic rated cans , I used the push in the can screw in socket type led replacement lighting , I installed a dimmer switch with light up option. Everything was working fine for several days I got around to the paint the ceiling part , I pulled one of them down , there are seven , I think this was number four , anyway the clips that hold it up in there came loose and made contact with the can socket and it apparently shorted it out. Anyway I reset the breaker , got power to the switch , no lights. Does anyone have any answers for something like this. I don't know that much about the physics of this type of lighting . Does one short all short happen with led? Are there fuses , or a reset.

Old 05-04-16, 07:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How do you know you have power. if you used a non contact tester you don't know. Have you checked the connections?

Old 05-05-16, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't understand how one of the clips came in contact with the power, which is housed in a box and covered? Is your socket hanging loose in the fixture? Is the pigtail screwed securely into the socket? On most retro cans you will need to "lock" in the clips by pushing up with a screw driver on the tab on the clip.

As to the absence of power, you may have to remove that can in order to trace a broken or burned wire. Does your power enter the switch or the fixtures first?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: