CFLs to LEDS will it fix blinking problem

Old 05-06-16, 10:52 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CFLs to LEDS will it fix blinking problem

I have a fan that takes old school 4 - 40 watt bulbs max, I put the fan in back in 2012. I put in 3 cfl and kept one old bulb. Due to when you run 4 cdfs they would blink and hum and then blow the cfl up. The fan was made to be dimmable if you use a remote. I do not. I just use a three switch in my hall.

My question is with the new LED fan bulbs that are dimmable, can I use all 4 LEDs bulbs and be fine now? Has anybody tried this yep?

thanks

Old 05-06-16, 11:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
To be absolutely sure you'll have to find out how the dimming in your ceiling fan works. There are a couple different methods of dimming. Since finding the method it uses will be difficult or impossible without the correct tools you're left with putting in the dimmable LED bulbs and see what happens.

Some CFL bulbs do not like dimmers or other electronic controls like light sensors. The two different sets of electronics clash causing the bulbs to have a short life. Realizing that is a common problem many of the LEDs coming out now are more tolerant and play nicer with electronic control devices.

Old 05-06-16, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
I would seek out and use exactly what the fan specifies. I have seen many fan/light dimmers dead short when LED's are used.... dimmable or not.

Old 05-10-16, 09:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
okay thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: