Old bathroom switch needs replacement

Old 05-07-16, 07:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old bathroom switch needs replacement

I am trying to replace an OLD Heat/Light/Vent switch with a set of two switches (a single and an over-under double). When I got into the box, I got confused with all of the jumpers and mismatched wiring. I am going to post pictures of the switch and the wiring. Can anyone help me out?

My goal is to have the single switch control the light, and have the over-under control the heat and vent.

Thank you!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  1A.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  1B.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  37.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-16 at 09:04 AM. Reason: reoriented/enhanced pictures
Old 05-07-16, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,140 Upvotes on 3,718 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have 3) two wire cables there.
The one on the left is the hot feed into the box.
The center cable carries neutral to the ceiling on white and yellow is switched hot to the light.
The right cable feeds the fan on white and heat on black.

Don't touch the two white neutral wires.
You'll need two pieces of black wire(tails) connected to the black hot wire. One goes to the light switch and one goes to the tandem fan/heat switch.
So you'll have one black hot wire on light switch and the black wire from the center cable.

On your tandem switch you'll have the second hot black tail wire feeding the common terminal and the two wires from the right cable will go on the output sides of the tandem switch.

Name:  1B_M.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 05-07-16, 01:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Does the heat utilize a fan? Some units use the same fan in reverse. Down for heat and up for vent. In that case you would need a SPDT center off switch so the fan could not be turned on with both switches, chancing a burnout. Otherwise the two switches you mentioned with Pete's description as to how they are to be wired will work great.

Old 05-13-16, 05:10 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank You!

PJMax:

Thank you so much! Just got back to Mother-in-Law's tonight. Followed your advice, and it worked like a charm. Looks much cleaner than that old L/H/V switch.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. And my Mother-in-Law says "Thank You" as well!

- Baykman

Old 05-13-16, 07:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What a nice Mothers Day gift. Thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: