Is hall fixture wired wrong ?

Old 05-31-16, 12:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is hall fixture wired wrong ?

Have an Odd Ball Wall Mounted Light Fixture that is more Orniment than Functional.. It's mounted in a mini hallway leading to the Basement Stairway.. Hallway has it's own Ceiling Light & Switch which is plenty..It came as is when the house was Purchased... Never bothered or investigated till now, maybe that's why there was no light bulb in the socket ?? Turn Basement Stairway lights On and Fixture turns Off or Visaversa.. Would like to Remedy , whether to install a fixture with a Pull Cord would be sufficient ?? Thoughts Appreciated , Cheers Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-16, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We need to know the all the wiring and connections at both lights and the switch. Pictures of each device pulled out but still connected might help too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html Does the ceiling light have a single location switch or a 3-way switch?

Old 05-31-16, 01:35 PM
@ray2047... Mini Hallway Ceiling Light has it's one and only switch (Small allowing for only 2 Slots with a Black & Red Wire Connected).. The Fixture in Question had only 14/2 Wire (Black on Black / White on White).. The Basement Stairway Switchs are 3 Wire (2 switches / Top & Bottom of Stairway)...

Old 05-31-16, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Mini Hallway Ceiling Light has it's one and only switch (Small allowing for only 2 Slots with a Black & Red Wire Connected)
There should also be a white wire if this is cable.
The Fixture in Question had only 14/2 Wire (Black on Black / White on White)
I'm a bit confused. Is there a switch for it?

Old 05-31-16, 04:03 PM
@ray2047....

House was originally Built in 1973 , we are I assume 4th Owners.. The house has undergone some Modification / Remodels..

(1) The Mini Hallway Light Switch I pulled it out to have a look see .. The switch itself is an old style narrow type that only allows for 2 Wires on the one side.... Hence the Black on top, Red on the Bottom.. I can only guess the White is Marretted behind ??

(2) The Fixture has a Black & a White Wire, wired to same(Power Source), there is No Red Wire.. As the Basement Stairway Light Switch is Involved, I'm assuming that is where the Wire leads to..

Old 05-31-16, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
I am totally lost. I can't get a handle on your descriptions. Please post pictures of the wiring at the wall light and pictures of the wiring at its switch.