Questions about smart lighting and Amazon Alexa.

Old 05-31-16, 03:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Questions about smart lighting and Amazon Alexa.

I have an Alexa at home and eventually would like to get it hooked up to the lights in my house so I can turn them on and off by voice or app. I would also probably like to get some kind of special lighting for the living room. Maybe with different colors and dimming. I also hate our 3 way switches. Just a pet peeve of mine. I like down to be off and up to be on and with three way switches it changes. I was thinking about getting some kind of tough switch for that. As I'm looking, I'm trying to decide what I need. Do I need smart bulbs or smart switches or a combination to achieve what I am looking for? It's probably sufficient to get switches for everything but the living room where I want the special lighting. I'm not sure if there would be a conflict with a smart bulb and a smart switch. I'm not exactly sure how the smart bulbs work in that regard. Oh, and are there any Alexa compatible bulbs that don't require those useless hubs?

I know this is more or a techie question than a home one but I thought this might be a good venue for it regardless.

Old 05-31-16, 09:27 PM
B
Oh, and another question. Do smart bulbs have some way of turning the switch on and off? Say, if the switch itself is on and the smart bulb is turned off, does the switch stay on? Because that's just going to cause a whole other irritant.

Old 05-31-16, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,089 Upvotes on 3,672 Posts
Alexa features native compatibility for Philips Hue and Lifx smart bulbs, Belkin WeMo smart switches, connected thermostats such as the Ecobee3, the Emerson Sensi, and the Wink, Insteon and SmartThings connected platforms.

If the smart bulb is turned off thru an embedded command the switch will stay on.
You'd want a smart switch or in case that wasn't feasible then you could use a smart bulb.

I'm just starting to get involved with homeowner equipment. I pretty much work on the commercial end of these systems now. I have dabbled in the Lutron RA systems and Crestron.

I see the Alexa system requires room speakers that have microphones in them to interpret vocal commands.

Old 06-01-16, 07:40 AM
B
Ah, ok that makes sense. I think for now I may get a smart switch or two and either hold off and the specialized lighting or scrap that part all together and just go with switches. I may wait a bit though as the industry still seems to be establishing standards. Unless I can find a way to get rid of the hub. It's a ridiculous and completely unnecessary stop-gap measure that I'd rather do without. I think the Wemo doesn't use them so maybe I'll look at those. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: