Bathroom exhaust fan's cover will not hold into place

Old 06-02-16, 12:52 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bathroom exhaust fan's cover will not hold into place

I have this bathroom extraction fan installed. It works fine, the only trouble I have is that the cover will not remain in place. The cover is supposed to be held into the operating position by the metal supports shown on the picture. The supports also serve the purpose of preventing the cover to fall on the floor when you want to move the cover to inspect or clean the fan. I have tried several times to put it back in the up position, but it will just fall right back down a few hours later. I have also tried to fold the metal pieces differently so as to achieve better support, it did not work,or maybe I am not doing it right. I don't want to get a new unit only for the reason that the cover will not stay up. Anyone has a suggestion? Thanks.
Name:  DSC_0202.jpg
Views: 17429
Size:  12.4 KBName:  DSC_0203.jpg
Views: 15234
Size:  21.3 KB

Old 06-02-16, 01:11 PM
C
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
If you squeeze the two metal legs together on each side you can remove the cover. You will probably find that the pieces have lost their springiness. With the cover off you may be able to use two pairs of pliers to bend the arms close to the cover to restore enough tension to keep it up. You want to bend the arms right by the cover so they are almost flat to the cover.

Old 06-02-16, 04:17 PM
N
Hi, thanks for your answer. I have folded the arms as instructed as far as they would go so that they are almost flat to the cover (see picture). The spring is definitely there, I even had a hard time installing them in the slots. However, the spring effect forcefully ejected the cover downwards instead of keeping it up. If I push it up again, it ejects strongly back down instantly. Is there something wrong with the way I have folded the arms? Should the inflexion points be different in the top part of the arms? Thanks. Name:  DSC_0204.jpg
Views: 13438
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 06-06-16, 09:01 PM
N
Please forgive me for bumping my thread this one last time in case someone has a solution.

Old 06-07-16, 06:40 AM
C
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Did it ever work properly or is this a new cover or fan? The spring wires look like they are bent properly. The only thing I can think of is that because the fan housing is fairly deep and the cover is also deep, the point where the wires are in the slot is far from the pivot point and thus the spring action is fairly weak. You could try bending the springs to an even flatter angle to get a little more spring force. If that doesn't work, I'd be tempted to drill two small holes in the rim of the cover, install a couple of drywall anchors in the appropriate places, and hold it on with two small screws.

Old 06-07-16, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
The last inch of the springs have been bent at a weird angle. That it not what needs to be bent. And you don't want to kink the wire lIke you have done... you want to keep it straight but increase the spring tension (which is at the central circle). This is done by flattening the angle, like Paul said. Grip both sides of the wire near the circle (the spring) and gently bend them down (without kinking the wire). They should not be straight across from one another (don't bend them THAT far) but you can bend them so they are more flat than they are now.

Also your bottom left spring has a curve on the left side... that wire should be straight. All the wires should be straight, not curved or kinked in any way. If the wire is curved in the wrong direction, it will want to slip out. They can get curved in the wrong direction by your fingers when the spring gets pinched together... as when you pinch it tother to install the cover. If the wires seem to be curved together from pinching the spring during installation, you need to gently curve them in the opposite direction.

If you need new springs, they come with the new covers. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q07DCS?...A11FZ8QK82CPBH

Old 06-09-16, 06:20 PM
N
Made it! You guys are geniuses! I have modified again the bending patterns and removed the 'top kinks'. I thought it'd be nice to post a picture of the configuration that worked because it might help others. I hope I understood the instructions right, because I'm the visual type. Basically I pinched each side of the base circle to form a ''V'' and lightly and gradually bent the tops into a ''kid's-drawing flying bird'' shape. The cover now holds into place very tightly, even if I gently pull on it there's almost a succion cup effect that keeps it firmly against the ceiling. To remove it, I really have to want it bad. And I won't for a while. It's been dangling there litteraly for years. It's not a new cover or fan, it's the one that came with this house, but I have been pushing the problem back under the rug for so long, lol. Thanks folks.

Name:  DSC_0207.jpg
Views: 13715
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 06-09-16, 06:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: