Separating two switches and two lights

Old 06-09-16, 07:10 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Separating two switches and two lights

Had great luck on getting help for my last project so I'm back on this one.

I've got two outdoor floods on opposite sides of the house. I think it's a 3-way configuration because I've got two switches inside the house (also on opposite sides) that when flipped turn both floods on/off.

Is there a way to separate these? I'd like one switch on one side of the house to control just the flood on that side of the house.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Old 06-09-16, 07:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Probably not without new cable. Does one light feed power to the second light? If one light has two 2-conductor cables (black. white +ground) and the other a single 2-conductor cable then one light feeds the other.

Tell us all the wires and connections in each switch box.

Old 06-09-16, 07:39 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Yes, that sounds like a typical 3 way switch setup.

It almost certain can be converted as you want as there should be enough wires running in the right places to make the necessary connections.

But there are several ways to wire a 3 way setup and the conversion details will vary a little depending on your exact wiring.

To start, we would need to know how many cables come into each box (the two switches and the two lights), whether they are 2 conductor or 3 conductor cables (not counting bare ground wire), and how they are connected to the devices (switches and fixtures).

A good clear photo of each with the devices connected but pulled out of the boxes (turn off the power) would be a good start.

Old 06-16-16, 10:07 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I will get those pictures up as soon as I'm able to. The lights are up in the eaves/soffits near the roof, so I'll need a full extension ladder to get up to them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: